6

Meanwhile on the other side of the fold...

Kaz Brekker, one of Ketterdam's top gang lords stands over his desk looking at various different papers and documents. His lips pursed in deep thought. He had just been tasked with the most impossible assignment. Finding a way across the fold in six hours.

Earlier that night he had met with a wealthy merchant named Dressen following a lead on a job uncovered by his top spy Inej Ghafa. She had discovered that Dressen was to hold meetings that very night hoping to find a crew willing enough to cross the fold and bring him something back, the reward being a million kruge.

After intercepting one of Dressen guys Kaz, Inej, and Jesper discovered the man was in need of a heartrenders service meaning, Dressen needed someone to talk that wouldn't. He cleverly managed to swoop in on a heartrender his competitor Pekka Rollins was going to bring in order to claim the job.

After successfully arranging a meeting, Dressen led them down to his cellar where he was currently keeping a man who managed to cross through the fold on foot after his expedition was attacked by volcra. With the help of the heartrender, the man told them that a Sun Summoner and a Phoenix Summoner had saved them from the attack. When asked who they were, Kaz felt his stomach drop when he heard the name of someone he presumed to be dead.

Anya Djar

"What was that hm? You want to tell me?" Inej questioned angrily, snapping Kaz out of his deep thought.

"Be more specific." He retorted back.

"It was one thing when we had a week to find a way across the fold. But sunrise? We have to say no." The Suli girl pointed out.

"No."

"No to the job?" Inej asked surprised thinking he had agreed with her without question.

"No to saying no!" He cleared.

Inej studied him for a moment taking in his messy hair and unkept clothes. He was usually so prestige and polished even when under a lot of stress.

"Why are you so adamant about taking the job?" She asked genuinely curious. "I saw how you reacted when the soldier mention Alina Starkov and Anya Djar." She watched him tense up at the last name. She had her answer.

"Who is she?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." He denies. He looks up, meeting Inej's gaze. He knows she won't let it go. He looks back down at his papers shuffling a few away before finding what he was looking for. A picture of a young girl with long brown hair. By the looks of the picture the girl had to have been eleven or twelve when it was taken.

"She lived on a little farm outside of the city, her family would come into town to sell their trade. We were friends. My only friend, the only person I ever truly trusted." He took the picture back from Inej and shoved it back in his desk.

"I had heard there was some sort of attack on the farm, some wild animal. They hadn't found any bodies at the house so they assumed they had just packed up and left. Until they found their bodies deep in the woods all torn up. They found her mother and father's bodies but not hers. They assumed the creature had perhaps carried her body somewhere else. I thought her to be dead."

Inej gave him a sympathetic look, sadden by his story of his friend. This was probably the first time she has seen him show any sort of emotion for anyone.

"That's why I'm so adamant Inej, it's not just about the kruge for me anymore. It's about finding out if it's truly her and figuring out what the hell happened that day." He exclaimed with a determined look on his face.

For years he's lived with mystery of what happened to his friend, the one girl he's ever loved. He was able to deal with the fact that she had died from an animal attack, but now finding out she might be alive and has been living in the Little Palace living the high life of a Grisha, it's makes him more angry than he can fathom.

If she's been alive all this time, how come she never came back or at least sent him a letter explaining everything? He will get the answers he deserves, even if it ends up breaking him.

But first he must find away to get across the fold and into the Little Palace and back without being caught.

Shouldn't be too difficult. Right?

~

Hello amazing people!

I am just an updating machine today, I'm also really bored and trying to past the time. Anyways what did you guys think of this little switch in the crows view. Im thinking of maybe doing this a few times but I haven't decided yet. Anyway here's a little more of Anya's backstory. Yes she did know Kaz and I have big plans for that whole idea. Anyway thank you all you guys who have commented, voted, or have added to you're reading list. It makes me so happy seeing that people actually like my book.

Until next time, stay awesome guys!!!!!