17

Anya sat on Alina's bed one morning. She wore her Kefta with her hair in a half up half down do. The two girls had grown closer in the last few weeks since arriving at the palace. They were speaking about random topics and training with Baghra when the door opened and Genya walked in holding a clothing bag.

"Have any letters arrived." Alina said excitedly.

"No." Alina's shoulders deflate in disappointment.

"I'm sure he'll respond soon." Anya says placing her hand on Alina's shoulders.

"I'm glad you're here Anya, says me the trouble of going to your room, General Kirigan is looking for you." Genya says handing riding gear to Anya.

"I'm going riding? Shouldn't I be focusing on training?"

"I agree." Alina said speaking up "The sooner I do what I need to do the sooner I can get back to-"

"Your life?" Genya smirks. "This is your life."

"Yeah my life, where Zoya is waiting to squall me into a wall or an open fire pit."

"What?" Anya chuckled. Alina shot her an apologetic look.

"Sorry I know you two are friends." Anya waved her hand dismissing her.

"She's off the palace grounds, didn't you hear? He sent her away to reassess her priorities." Anya looked down feeling bad for her friend, but even Anya knew sometimes Zoya deserves it. She always had to prove she was better than everyone.

"We'll come on, up, up" Genya says to Anya pushing her to her feet. She unzipped the clothing bag showing it to Anya. It was another Kefta but black with red and gold embroidery.

"Isn't black his color?" Alina asked confused. All Genya did was smirk down at Alina gesturing Anya out the door.

~

"I noticed you aren't wearing the Kefta I had Genya bring you." Aleksander says as they trot down a path on top of there horses.

"While I appreciate it, black is your color. Not mine."

After riding for another half hour or so, Aleksander and Anya reached the old fountain. Anya got off her horse walking up to the fountain. She rested her hands on the fountain looking at her reflection in the water.

"Anya..." She hears. She feels a slight surge of power pressing her fingers to her temple. Aleksander watches from behind eyes pinched.

"I heard what happened at dinner the other night." He says. Anya looks over her shoulder watching as he slowly walks up to her. He places his hand on her lower back as a way to comfort her.

"I feel bad. I didn't mean to hurt him."

"And Ivan understands that. He knows you're trying to learn control." Anya sighs looking back at her reflection in the water. Aleksander takes a coin out of his pocket and kisses it before throwing it into the fountain.

"Tell me. What do you see?" He asks.

"Someone I don't even recognize anymore."

"Or perhaps it's the person you were always meant to be." Anya chuckles shaking her head.

"Unlikely." She mutters looking down at her conjoined hands. Aleksander reaches over taking hold of one of her hands. He raises her hand to his lips kissing her knuckles gently. She lets out a small smile.

"How are you readjusting?"

"As well as I can. It's weird having to train with Baghra again. She's just as intense as I remember." Anya says walking down to the bench sitting down.

"I am happy to be back with Genya. I just remember life being so much easier with her around."

"I know I may seem like I don't understand but I do Anya." He said crouching down to her height taking hold of her hand.

"I know." She said smiling at him gently.

"No I don't think you do. When I was a boy, I used to run away and hide here." He said standing up. Anya looked around observing the quiet area.

"I see why. It's peaceful."

"Once I realized that I was a descendant of the most hated Grisha in all of Ravka, I'd come here, throw a coin. Make a wish in the fountain. Same wish over and over again. That I could be anyone else." Aleksander said looking Anya in the eyes. For as long as Anya had known him, he has never once opened up about his past. Anya stood up walking up to him. They stood chest to chest staring into each other's eyes. Anya grabbed his hands pulling them up to her chest.

"Thank you for telling me."

"I promised I wouldn't keep any more secrets from you, and I intend to keep that promise." He leaned down pecking her lips. Anya looked at the fountain catching the engravings.

"Is that his story?" She said stepping closer to the fountain. She gently touched her fingers against the carving. An imaged flashed through her head. A large bird flew over a stag, suddenly the scene changed to a bloody massacre with a dark tall figure standing over the body of the stag and bird. She jumped back grabbing her hand.

"Are you alright?" He asked worryingly. She looked over her shoulder nodding her head.

"We should get back." Anya says. "You and I both know Baghra hates tardiness." Aleksander nods ushering her back to the horse.

He kicks his horse gently and begins to trot back along the path. Anya looks back at the fountain one last time thinking of the vision. She flicks the reigns guiding the horse back to the palace.