8

"DRÜSKELLE"

Anya quickly reacts getting ready to jumped out of the carriage. The Drüskelle were Fjerdan Grisha Hunters. They thought all Grisha were witches that needed to be executed.

"No! You stay here, they're after you and Alina!" Ivan demands pushing Anya back into her seat. Feydor and Ivan exit the carriage leaving Alina and Anya alone. Gunshots ring through the air, as well as the screams and shouts from the Fjerdans and Grisha. Anya grabs Alina by the shoulders dragging her to the ground as bullets penetrate the the carriage. Anya and Alina lie on the floor trying to stay clear of the window. Suddenly it gets quiet. Anya listens for the sounds of footprints outside.

"What's happening?" Alina whispers fearfully.

"I don't know."

Smoke starts to fill the carriage sending both girls into coughing fits. The door behind them is thrown open and a Fjerdan solider stands behind them.

"Drüjse." He hisses lunging for the girls. Before he can grab hold of Alinas ankle, Anya raises her hand blasting him into the trees away from them.

"Go, Go, Go." Anya says scrambling up. She pushes the other door open jumping out Alina behind her. They run into a open area in the forest. Suddenly a Drüskelle wire trap locks around her body causing her to fall on her face. Alina quickly runs back to try to free Anya but is grab by her ankles and dragged away.

"No! Please! Please!" Alina screams. "I'm not Grisha, I'm a mapmaker."

Hearing Alinas cry for help sparked something in Anya. She feels a powerful surge flow through her body. Her veins glow and begin to crawl up her face and her eyes glow orange.

The Fjerdan straddles Alina, while she struggles to break free. He raises his axe to kill Alina when his arm freezes. He tries to move but is unable to. He looks over his shoulder to see Anya standing a few spaces behind him her arm extended out. She throws her arm to the side sending the axe flying. He gets off Alina, taking out a dagger and running towards Anya. She holds her hand out a again blasting him a few feet away. She drags her hand towards her pulling him back towards her body. She turns her body slightly so that he would fly pass her.

The Fjerdan turns to her seeing her fully for the first time. Orange tendrils float around her hands. Her eyes and veins glow and vibrant orange, and her hair floats around her head. She has a neutral expression on her face as she waits for him to make the next move.

"Death Witch." He hisses in Fjerdan.

He swings at her managing to cut her cheek. He goes to stab her in the stomach when she holds out her hand catching his with her powers. She twists his arm until she hears a snap, then takes her other hand grasping onto his forehead. His face starts to glow and starts to crack as she uses her power on him. She smirks and he dissolves before her.

Her power fades away into her body again. She looks around her noticing the pile of ash. She turns around to Alina. The girl lying on the ground looking at her with an unreadable expression. Realizing what she just did, Anya's breathing starts to stagger as she stares down at her hands.

'What have a done?' She thinks.

"ANYA LOOK OUT!" Alina screams. Anya had been so preoccupied she hadn't seen another Fjerdan sneak up behind her. She turned as he was swinging, but before he could deliver the killing blow he was sliced in half. Blood splattered all over her face and she watched as the Fjerdans body fell into pieces.

Before her stood the Darkling, he walked up to her, cupping her face and looking into her eyes.

"Are you hurt?" She thought for a minute before shaking her head. Feydor and Ivan appeared behind him.

"Get her to the Little Palace and quick. Miss Starkov with ride with me." They nodded and led  Anya away towards horses.

They look at her questioning if she was okay. She nodded even though she knew it was a lie. Everything that happened back there was not okay. Nothing made sense to her anymore. All she can think of is the look Alina gave her. She was terrified and not because of the Fjerdan, but because of her.

They rode back in silence the entire way to the Little Palace. She knew she was dangerous but this? This is something entirely different.

She can only hope that no one else besides Alina had seen what she did. But she was wrong.

Someone did.