7

Anya couldn't breathe. She was so lost in her thoughts trying to process what had just occurred in General Kirigan's tent, that she didn't even realize she was standing in front of Kirigan's carriage with Alina.

She thought back to the event, remembering the look on Kirigan's it wasn't of shock or awe like the rest of the people in a attendance. It was more of a victorious and knowing smirk as if he knew all along of what was flowing through her veins.

"What if he did?" She thought. That thought alone was enough to think back through all of the interactions they've had. The moments they've shared. What if he did know what she was all along? If so, why wouldn't he tell her? What else was he hiding from her?

She was snapped out of her looming thoughts when the carriage hit a large bump. She had been lost in her thoughts for so long she hadn't even noticed they were already on their way to the Little Palace.

"Anya." She turned her attention to one of the men sitting in front of her, Feydor. "Are you alright?" He asks concerned for his friend.

"I'm fine." She lied giving him a tight lipped smile. Anya and Feydor met when she first came to the Little Palace. Even though he was a few years older he still made friends with the Shu girl, knowing how scared and confused she must have been. She always preferred Feydor over his other half Ivan. While Ivan was cold and calculated, Feydor was bubbly and welcoming.

"I've known you long enough to know when you're lying." He scolded. She didn't say anything after that looking back outside. After awhile Feydor's voice interrupts the awkward silence through the carriage again.

"It's a kefta. It's bullet proof. The uniform of the Second Army." He says pointing to the coat around Alina who had been sitting quietly besides Anya majority of the trip. Both girls had been given a kefta to wear. Alina because she's First Army and doesn't have one, and Anya because hers had been ripped up by the volcra deeming it useless.

"What about the First Army?" Alina speaks for the first time during the trip. "Back in Kribirsk? A thousand soldiers marching with us, isn't that safer?" She asks.

"Slower, but not safer. Not really." Anya mutters knowing why they're traveling with a small company instead of a large one.

"If you left us with the cartography unit, no one would look twice for us." Alina says. Anya smiles slightly when Alina mentions Anya. She obviously can tell that whatever is happening Anya wants no part in in.

"General Kirigan would look for Anya. She's his closest confidant, if she went missing you better believe he would send a search party for her." Ivan stated matter-of-factly.

"Why is that?" Feydor asked genuinely curious.

"Are you joking?" Alina scoffed. Anya looked at Feydor as if he had grown a second head.

"Maybe it's nicer in the Little Palace, but out here, when you're different, when you look different, everything's at risk of becoming of a fight."

"It's not as nice as you think." Anya muttered causing Ivan and Feydor to look over confusion written across their faces. Anya knew exactly how she felt. Like Alina, Anya was also part Shu only she looked a little more Shu then Ravkan. When she first arrived to the Little Palace everyone treated her like the enemy because of what she looked like. She would try to explain she's only part, but nothing she did ever worked. It was only when she became one of Kirigan's advisors did they other Grisha start treating her like she was one of them.

"What do you mean? Aren't you one of the high ranking officers?" Alina asked.

"It wasn't always like that. I may be one of the top officers, but I'm still part Shu. Like you. I understand what it's like to be treated differently just because of how I look. The other Grisha may be respectful to face but I know they're thinking. That I look like the enemy and nothing more.

Anya always tried to push away her feelings on the matter. Sure she would talk to Kirigan about it when they were alone, but he never truly understood the challenges she faced by being different.

"You may look different from I, but you have always been respected. Your powers are unique, never seen before-" Feydor tries to reason with her.

"And it's also dangerous and uncontrollable. What happened back at the camp, I didn't even know I could that." Anya said cutting him off.

"Ever since I came to the Little Palace, I've been afraid of my powers. Then when I finally learn control the Saints name me the Phoenix Summoner."

"You've always been the Phoenix Summoner Anya." Ivan snaps growing tired of her complaining.

"Why do you think the General kept such a tight leash on you when you began training?."

Anya sat there baffled, her breaths becoming scattered. Ivan's eyes widened realizing what he had accidentally let slip.

"He knew this whole time?" She whispered. Realizing he had been caught Ivan nodded. Anya inhaled through her nose turning her attention back to the window. Her breathing started to become heavy as she thought about the darkling. The man who promised would never lie to her.

As she stared out the window of the carriage, her eyes shifted from her natural color to a bright shade of orange. She felt a tug in her mind like something was trying to take over. She blinked a few times trying to shake away the feeling. Her eyes shifted back to her normal color.

Little did she know something was trying to take over. Something that's been repressed for a very long time. It's tired of waiting.
~

And it's done. Phew, this was hard to write. So Anya found out the Darkling has been lying to her the whole time. Nice job Ivan. Anyway I just want to thank everyone whose been commenting and voting. It makes me really happy, and not like a total loser.

You guys are Awesome stay tuned for the next one.!!!!!