33

Inside the carriage, Kaz watched as Anya slept soundly on the other side. They had left the palace a little over an hour ago. Kaz had joined Anya in the carriage in hopes of talking to her, but once he saw her fast asleep he knew it would be better to just wait for her to wake up. He watches as her eyes danced under her eyelids. She was having a dream, whether it was a good or bad one, he couldn't tell.

He took this moment to really observe her. Her hair had grown longer. When they were kids, Anya's hair was at shoulder length and she had made a vow that it would forever remain that way. He couldn't deny that she looks better with long hair. She had grown out of her chubby cheeks and the freckles that once speckled her face seemed to have faded. To Kaz, she looked even more beautiful.

"Quiet." He heard her whisper. Anya shook her head slightly as if she was trying to swat away a bug buzzing in her face.

"Quiet." She was now whimpering, her eyes were scrunched and her breathing started to pick up. Suddenly she shot up.

"Get out of my head!" She yelled. Kaz jumped back in surprise at Anya's appearance. Her hair was floating around her head, and her eyes and veins were glowing. He had seen a glimpse back at the palace but never a full view. Anya's breathing started to slow down when she noticed she wasn't alone in the carriage. She looked over at Kaz who sat there with a stunned expression. Anya's power began to fade and her hair slowly descended back around her shoulders. They sat there in silence until Anya decided to break it.

"Sorry." She whispered. "Sometimes I can't control it." Kaz nodded looking down to his shoes. He desperately wanted to ask her everything he had in his mind. What happened when they were kids? What she did back at the palace? All these thoughts swam around his head like a fish in water. Anya observed him in deep thought.

"Well go on...ask me what you want to know." Anya stated. Kaz looked up at Anya in confusion.

"You want to know, how I know. I can hear them. Your thoughts." Kaz watched her with intrigue.

"How?" He finally asks after a long awaited silence. Anya licked her slips sitting up straight.

"I don't know." Anya answered honestly. "I never was able to before. I think my powers are changing."

"Changing?" Kaz asked wanting to know more.

"Ever since I woke in the Little Palace I could feel it. This dark and uncontrollable force just trying to break out. I don't know what it is, or how I got it. I just know that people get hurt when it comes."

They sat there in silence, both trying to process everything. Anya could feel her power changing. She has ever since she came back from the Fold. Kaz watched as Anya tried to hold back tears. When he first saw her in the hallway in the Little Palace he thought she knew who she was. But looking at her almost in tears, he knew she was just as scared. She was scared of whatever was inside her and from what he could tell, she's been scared for a long time.

"Who we're you talking to? In your sleep?" Anya let out a shaky breath wrapping her arms around herself.

"She talks to me. She likes to whisper in my ears."

"Who's she?"

"The Phoenix." Anya looked at Kaz. She could hear his thoughts bouncing around in his head. One in particular stood out.

"You want to know if I remember you...I do. You're the only part of my past I do remember. Why? I'm not sure. Everything from before I discovered my powers is a blur." Anya winced as the Phoenix began to whisper in her ears again. Kaz moved closer to her. He wanted to comfort her, to tell her everything was going to be alright. Over the years, he has avoided human contact at all cost. But seeing Anya, his childhood friend and the girl he loves in pain made him want to go against it. He reached forward slowly resting his gloved hand on her knee. She looks up to meet his gaze as a tear cascades down her cheek. She gently places her hand over his feeling a spark move up her arm.

They sat there in silence enjoying the comfort the other brought.

~

I love them so much, I might spontaneously combust!!!!!!