32

Anya led Kaz and Inej through the dark tunnels. They had been wandering for hours taking various turns. The bustling footsteps from the guards could be heard above them. It had been silent for the majority of the journey, until Inej gentle voice breaks through.

"How do you know where your going?" Her voice echoes of the damp stone walls.

"You don't live in the Little Palace you're whole life and not know where you're going." Anya spoke. That was a half truth, Anya did know where she is going most of the time, but they didn't need to know that the Phoenix was actually whispering the directions into her ears. The last time she saw Kaz was when she was a child, and she thought him to be dead or off in some far off land. She didn't know the person he was today. Why would you tell a stranger a secret that they can use to their advantage?

They reached a fork in the path and Anya looked down both ways trying make sense of where they were.

"Left." The Phoenix whispers.

"It's this way." Anya announces heading down the left passage way. Kaz was fidgeting in anticipation. This was a moment he's been waiting for, for a long time. When he first saw her appear behind the curtain he was in awe. He wanted nothing more than to rush to her and wrap his arms around her frame. But ever since their journey out of the palace she has refused to make eye contact with him or even speak to him. The only person she has shared words with was Inej. And it was killing him.

They finally reached a dead end. Anya proceeded to run her hands along the wall searching for a lever.

"I found it." She states. She presses down on the brick and the door opens revealing the stable. She stuck her head of the doorway looking back and forth before nodding to Kaz and Inej. The snuck out through the stable and into the courtyard where moments ago Alina had snuck into the chest of a carriage and Jesper laughed in disbelief.

Hearing a door open behind him Jesper quickly turned around ready to flee when he saw it was Kaz, Inej, and Anya. He gawked seeing Anya with Kaz. He didn't think kidnapping the Sun and Phoenix summoner would be this easy.

"What happened? Are you okay?" He asks the two members of his group while keeping his gaze on Anya.

"We're fine." Kaz states glancing at Anya who looked around in a state of panic.

"We have to hurry." Anya exclaims rushing towards the carriage. She quickly jumps in shutting the door behind. Jesper mouth drops in disbelief.

"Are you serious?" He chuckles turning back to Kaz and Inej.

"They're real, Jesper." Inej breathes still in awe.

"She saved me, and helped us escape from the palace." Kaz explains.

"Why would she do that?"

"Something tells me things are all they're cracked up to be in the Little Palace." The trio walk towards the carriage climbing on top of the drivers seat.

"We lost target on the Sun summoner though." Kaz sighs disappointment.

"Did we?" Jesper chuckles in amusement.

"We don't know where she is." A look of confusion spread on Kaz and Inej's faces.

"Don't we?" He laughs. "Just ask." He shrugs his shoulder nonchalantly.

"Just ask." Kaz rolls his eyes giving in to Jesper's nonsense.

"Fine. Do we have a fix on the target." Jesper smirks to the two flicking the reigns of the horse.

~

Kind of a short one but nevertheless. Hope you enjoy!