49

Aleksander escorted Anya through the camp with a tight grip around her torso. Alina met them halfway towards the skiff being escorted by Ivan.

"The tracker's being kept in camp, under guard." Aleksander said addressing Alina.

"Do what's expected of you and he'll be released. Both of you." They reached the skiff and the girls were brought to the front of the skiff. Aleksander ties a large rope around both of their ankles so they couldn't escape during the journey.

"This isn't a good look for you." Anya quipped. "Everyone will see that we're your prisoners."

"I doubt very much they'll notice your feet." He said walking away from the two girls. Anya and Alina shared a look before grasping each other hands. No matter what happened, at least they were together.

Up above, Zoya was in charge of driving the skiff to the other side of the fold. She looked down to check in on Anya when she noticed both girls tied down. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. Why would General Kirigan tie them down if they agreed to do this? Zoya is given the signal to begin the journey and she conjures a gust of wind causing the skiff to move.

"Good news? It's just as terrifying as I remember." Jesper says as they grow closer to the fold. The tree crows currently hid in the back of the skiff away from General Kirigan's view.

"Except this time we're going in completely exposed." Inej says not making the situation any better in Jespers opinion. The growling of volcra could be heard as the grow closer and closer to the fold.

"If I'm meant to die today, and either of you two survive, make sure I have an open casket."

"No one's dying today." Kaz said keeping a firm gaze on Anya. He was going to protect her at all cost, even if it killed him.

"No mourners."

"No funerals." Inej said.

The skiff grew closer to the fold and a sense of nostalgia washed over Anya. This is where it began and this is where it'll end. Everything leading up to this moment happened in order for them to be right where they are now. As they reached the entrance, Anya shut her eyes and grasped onto Alina's hand tighter as the ship was swallowed by darkness.

~

If someone had told Anya that she would be entering the fold again after barely escaping the first time, she would've called them crazy. But here she was surrounded by darkness once again. She looks back catching a glimpse of the blue light. None of this would have happened if that hadn't gone out the first time. It was eerily quiet except for the rumbling of thunder in the distance.

"Can you feel them?" Aleksander asked leaning towards Ivan.

"No heartbeats yet, sir." He replies with his hands extended out in front of him. They were out there, and it was only a matter of time before they came.

"How many markers have we passed?" One of the noblewomen asked her escort as she surveyed the sky.

"Five, ma'am." Suddenly, the screech of a volcra echos in the distance and everyone tenses up looking up at the sky trying to spot them.

"They're coming." Alina whispered.

"Yes." Aleksander states a smile forming on his face.

"We should tear this down now." Anya states moving closer to Aleksander.

"And what can you really do on your own?" He says raising his hand to remind them of the piece embedded in his hands. He was right, they couldn't do much with the piece of the stag in his hand.

"Besides, it would be a monumental waste of power." Anya's turned back forward listening to the sounds of the volcra growing closer. The finale was about to begin.

~

"This is a bad idea." Jesper grunts as he cleans his two pistols. He's been saying how horrible this idea is from the beginning, but does anyone listen to him. No.

"I think it's rather practical." Kaz says giving him a look.

Jesper scoffs looking up at Kaz "What? Why?"

"I don't see how we step off this boat without you pulling those guns." Jesper chuckles. Good. He was raring for a fight.

"So, cleaning them is a good idea."

"I don't mean this. I mean this." He says gesturing to the level above them. The three crows look up startled at the sound of a volcra.

"We are in the worst place in the world, on a ship full of people who want us dead, surrounded by monsters who want us in their gullets." At this point, Jesper has a right to be slightly panicked during this whole situation.

"I should have brought Milo."

"Who's Milo?" Inej asks quizzically.

"The goat." He glares. Sometimes it's like he's talking to a brick wall.

"How many bullets do you have?" Kaz asks ignoring Jesper's comment. The growling up above grows louder and Jesper looks between Kaz and Inej with a solemn and almost desperate look.

"Not enough."

~

I'm so excited! We're almost at the end guys. I cannot wait to write the fight scene!