52

"Today, we redraw all the maps." Aleksander addresses walking past Anya and Alina who still lied on the floor.

"With the power of the Sun and Phoenix Summoner at my command, I control the Fold. And its monsters." He smirks causing the noblemen to look away in disbelief.

"I can move it to any border I like. Engulf any harbor. Consume any city. Take what you have seen back to your home countries. Tell the Fjerdans. Tell the Shu Han."

Anya pants trying to stand to her feet with Alina's help while Aleksander continued his speech.

"There will be no more war with Ravka. All countries will answer to us. For who would oppose us now?" Suddenly Mal pushes through the crows firing his gun at Aleksander's guards. One goes down and the other thrusts his weapon at Mal who grabs it by the head shooting the other guard in the chest.

"Mal!" Alina yelled. Alina tries to stand only to fall back to the floor. Anya wraps her arms around Alina trying to hold her steady. Aleksander nods towards Ivan signally him. Ivan raises his hands stopping Mal in his tracks. Mal grunts in pain his focus on solely Aleksander. He slowly falls to the ground in his face contorted.

"Mal." Alina pants as she tries to crawl toward him.

"Keep him alive. He could be useful to us." Aleksander orders.

"Alina." Mal grunts trying to reach for her. Aleksander picks Mal's gun off the deck and chucks it into the fold. Tears stream down Alina's face as she stretches her hand out toward him.

"Focus." He demands grasping onto Alina's arm. He turns to Anya and she shuffles backwards on her hands trying to escape him. Unfortunately, he grasps her arm as well pulling the two girls close.

"You put your attention on the light that's keeping us all safe, or your friend dies now." He spats. Blind rage fills Anya and with a determined look she raises her arms up beside her causing part of the light to rise back up. She looks at her arms in confusion. She's never been able to do that without Alina. Aleksander watches in amazement as the light slowly grows brighter and more orange. She lets go falling to the ground. Aleksander looks down at Anya, a look of bewilderment etched on his face. She looks up and he steps back in shock as she eyes become pure white for a second before returning to her normal brown.

~

Jesper lets out a sigh stuffing his guns into his holster with a click. Kaz turns his head towards Jesper who was picking up his coat and making his way towards the stairs.

"We wait!" Kaz yells.

"The action's up there."

"They have the advantage." Kaz says glancing towards the ceiling.

"Only because I'm not in the game." He smirks before heading up the stairs.

~

The noblewomen stood watching the scene before her in confusion. The General promised they would bring down the fold. He devoured her home in darkness and now, he stands there with his Sun and Phoenix writhing in agony on the floor and his heartrender mercilessly torturing a young man.

"General Kirigan, this will only turn the world against you and all Grisha. You'll be seen not as a savior, but a heretic." In a split second the women's escort cocked their guns pointing them directly at Aleksander. Before they could pull the trigger Ivan uses their powers to stop all of their hearts. They groaned in pain and slowly started to fall to their knees

"No!" Anya yelled as she watched the life leave their eyes. She let out a huff in anger and reached down to grab the rope. Focusing all her power into her hand, the rope singes in half freeing Anya. She looks up spotting Inej fighting off a Heartrender. She makes eye contact with Zoya who sends her a fear look.

"Shame." Aleksander said unfazed. "I'll have to give that speech again now."

'Go' Anya mouths. Zoya nods sending a strong gust of wind into the sails taking them back into the Fold. She looks up at Ivan who stills has a hold a Mal. Taking the opportunity, Anya stands up and tackles Ivan to the ground. She straddles him lining his hands to the side so he couldn't use them. Suddenly, she's thrown off by Aleksander landing on the other side of the skiff. She goes to stand but starts to feel her heart clench. Her face contorts in pain as Ivan steps closer with his arms raised.

Jesper steps out from the back deck shooting at the Heartrender. Anya drops to the floor gasping with her hand over her chest. She looks up just in time to see Aleksander releasing the cut. She raises her hand sending a powerful blast that disintegrates the cut. Aleksander as well as Jesper and Kaz are blown back at the force of the blast.

Using ever bit of her strength Anya stands up taking a protective stance in front of Kaz and an unconscious Jesper. Aleksander looks up immediately halting his movements at the sight of Anya. Her eyes were glowing a bright vibrate orange and her haired flew around her head. He had seen her this way before, the only difference was that instead of cracks for,ing in her face there was a bright hue dancing all over her body.

He stood up still staring at Anya in astonishment. Inej watching from up above takes this brief distraction as a chance. She throws one of her knives and it lands straight in his chest. Anya stumbles and her powers fade. He stumbles back looking up at Inej. He lifts his head and dark veins form up his neck and into his face. Anya backs away in shock as he takes the knife out of his chest.

"It will take more than this!" He screams throwing the knife behind him. He throws his hands in the air contorting the fold around them until half the skiff was covered in darkness. Anya whips around remembering that Kaz, Inej and Jesper were in there. She lost Kaz once when she was a young girl, then she lost him again. There was no way in hell she was going to lose him a third time.

"Kaz." She whispers. She glances over her shoulder shooting Aleksander a deadly look. His expression dropped once he realized her plan. He goes to reach for her but is too late, for she had already stepped into the looming darkness.

As soon as she steps through the other side she immediately sees a Volcra attacking Inej. She swings her knife around trying to fight off the creature. Quickly, Anya races up the stairs sending a powerful blast towards the Volcra. Inej whips around facing Anya. She lets out a sigh of relief racing over to Anya and wrapping her in a tight embrace.

Kaz races up the stairs finding Anya and Inej in a tight embrace. Hearing footsteps, Anya lets go of Inej turning around. Her heart stops and her eyes water as she sees that Kaz is alright. He limps over pulling her into a hug. The last time Kaz cried was when he was a child and his brother died. But as he stands here holding Anya, he feels the slightest sting in his eyes. Anya opens her eyes only for them to widen when she sees a volcra heading their way.

Just before the Volcra can sink it's talons into Kaz, Anya spins them around causing the Volcra to catch her instead of Kaz. She lets out a cry in pain and Inej immediately whips out a knife hurling it dead center into the Volcras head. Kaz lowers Anya to the ground as she gasps in pain.

"Anya! Anya, stay with me!" Kaz pleads as he brushes the loose hair out of her face. Kaz slowly begins to blur in her eyes as darkness consumes her.