25

"Ivan! My kefta!" Anya hears as she steps into Aleksander's room. She sees his kefta lying on the back of a chair and picks it up.

"You're not Ivan." Aleksander says as he sees Anya holding his Kefta instead of Ivan.

"Sorry to disappoint." Anya smirks teasingly.

"Do I sense a bit of disdain for my Heartrender. And here I thought you two were friends." Anya sighs as she steps forward to put on Aleksander's kefta for him.

"We've been kind of on the outs since I almost burned him." Anya chuckles.

"I'm sure you two will make up and one day have a good laugh about it."

"Didn't know volcra could have a sense of humor." Anya retorts causing Aleksander to burst out laughing. He takes her hand leading her back out to where the war table is.

"I heard you were successful in conjuring your power to feel Alina's emotions."

"Ha, it was a lot harder than it looked." Anya said a half smile appearing on her face.

"Are you alright? You seem nervous." Anya shakes her head waving him off.

"I'm fine, it's just....well earlier I felt myself lose control a little. I'm still working on it but it just makes me a little worried about tonight." He steps closer running his hands down her arms.

"You have nothing to be worried about. Everyone loses control once and a while. How about this if you feel like you're losing control just look at me. Okay?" Anya nodded smiling.

"I'm actually not as nervous as one may think." Anya said leaning against the war table. "As I was talking to Genya and Alina earlier I realized what this demonstration will represent and what will happen after."

"You know that in some ways I've always felt like I was an outsider. Even after all these years. But I think this is the first time I've ever felt like a belong here. Truly." Anya chuckles "and not only that I feel like I belong to something greater. That I finally have the ability to create a better future for everyone. If that makes any sense." She says pushing a lose strand behind her ear.

"You don't know how much that means to me."Aleksander steps up running his knuckle gently over her cheek. He kisses her gently on the forehead.

"You never cease to surprise me." He chuckles. He looks down catching the crow pendant around her neck. He gently lifts it up and plays with it between his fingers.

"I thought you lost this."

"Alina found it, I took it off as a way to move on from my past but then...." She trails off taking the pendant from his fingers and wraps it in her palm. "I realized if I truly let go of my past then who am I."

She watches a dark look wash over his face. She furrows her eyebrows in confusion until he grabs her face presses a hard kiss to her mouth. A knock on the door quickly interrupted them and Aleksander goes to open the door. Anya stands there confused at the sudden aggression. She raises her fingers to her lips gently touching them. Anya excuses herself and leaves Aleksander's room.

When she returns to her room she presses her back against the door clutching the pendant. He has never once shown any type of aggression to her. So what did she do to make his mood change so suddenly.

She sits down at her vanity and begins to get ready for the fete. As she looks in the mirror she doesn't notice a shadow creep on the wall beside her.

"Anya..." she whips her head to the noise and finds nothing there. She hears her name called again and turns her head to the mirror and quickly jumps back. She sees a much darker version of her in the mirror. Her skin was cracking and her eyes were bright orange. Her hair floated around her head and she wore a dark red outfit.

"Who are you?" Anya whispered.

"I'm you...." It answered.

"You're the one that's been talking to me haven't you? Calling me?"

"Yes..."

"What are you?"

"I am the very thing flowing through your body right now. I am the Phoenix. I have been watching over you ever since you were a little girl. I chose you when you were a young girl. And now I must warn you. Do not listen to the man of darkness. He does not mean you well."

"Man of darkness? Do you mean Aleksander? Why can't trust him?"

"Just listen to me. If you care for the fate of your country and yourself  you'll will heed my warning. We will talk again soon."

Anya blinked and her reflection returned to normal. What did she mean by she couldn't trust Aleksander? And what did she mean by she chose Anya?