21

Anya watched the various carriages of entertainers line up outside of the Little Palace gate. Marie and Nadia giggled to themselves beside her as they watched as well. The Winter Fete was less than a couple hours away, and the Little palace buzzed around in excitement at the idea of tonight's presentation. Anya and Alina were to be presented tonight and showcase their powers to the world as Ravka's hope. Anya's eyes furrowed in confusion as she watched one of the units of guards grab a man from underneath one of the carriages and away from the Little Palace.

"People will do anything just to get a glimpse of you and Alina." Marie said smiling.

"Come, let us do your hair for a chance." Nadia gushed pulling Anya away from the window and towards her room.

~

Anya can safely say she was surprised with how well Nadia and Marie did her hair. They braided the top of her hair into intricate braids leaving the rest of her hair to fall into tight ringlets.

Anya, Alina, and Nadia sat around Alina's vanity laughing at Marie as she told the story about how she set a poor boy on a fire.

"I panicked!" Marie defended "No ones ever asked to spend time with me before!"

"So you set him on fire?" Alina laughed.

"It was an accident!"

"The Squallers had to launch him right into the lake." Nadia added. The girls laughed causing Marie to slightly smile in return.

"What did you do when General Kirigan showed interest Anya?" Marie said trying to turn the attention away from her.

"Certainly not set him ablaze and nearly drown him." Anya retorted while trying contain her laughter.

"You made quite the first impression." Alina said. The door opened and Genya stepped through looking at the girls in bewilderment at the sight of what they did to Alina's hair

"Hi Genya." Marie and Nadia said.

"They need you for the Kefta." Genya says. Marie's eyes widened.

"No, I'm so late. Nadia, come on." Both girls went running out as fast as their legs could carry them out the door, leaving Anya, Genya, and Alina.

"Thank the Saints I got here in time." Genya says looking at the state of Alina's hair.

"I think they tried they're best actually." Alina giggles looking at her messy bun.

"That's a terrifying thought." Genya says waving her fingers releasing Alina's hair. "At least they did a decent job on yours Anya, I'm terrified to think of what they could of done if they didn't know you're style." Anya chuckles at Genya's statement. Genya moved behind Alina playing with her hair.

"Still nothing from Mal." Genya says to Alina.

"You don't have to update me anymore, I'm sure you've got enough on your plate." Genya chuckles opening up her case.

"You have no idea." Genya says taking out a blue beetle from her trunk. "The Queen, her Royal bossiness, Tatiana, has no regard for my need to sleep. She woke up before dawn and demanded I touch up her face before the rest of her team arrive."

Anya frowns listening to Genya. She knows exactly how the Queen is, she's always been the hardest on Genya.

"Hmm...we can accidentally blind her during the demonstration, if you'd like." Anya chuckles trying to lift Genya's spirits. Genya smiles appreciatively to her friend. Genya moves over to Alina's face.

"What's that for?" She asks.

"Relax your eyebrows." She states running her fingers over Alina's eyelids. "I don't mind actually, it tends to shift the Kings from me...at least until nightfall." Genya says solemnly.

"Genya..." Anya whispered. She always knew the King liked Genya a little to much, but she never thought it went past anything other than indecent comments and looks.

"I'm fine Anya. Don't worry about me." She says placing a reassuring hand on Anya's shoulder. It was silent between the three girls before Alina's voice broke through the solemn silence.

"Let's just say the Fold is gone. What then?"

"Ravka will be revived. The Second Army won't be necessary-"

"And Grisha will have new opportunities." Anya says adding onto Genya who nods in agreement.

"What would you do?" Alina asks tilting her head at Anya. Anya smiles thinking back to Kerch. She knows she promised herself she would move on from her past there but she couldn't help but wonder. Would her family still be there, still living the farmer life? Or did they go to Ketterdam running the club her parents always dreamed up running when they were young.

"I would go back to Kerch. Find my family. The day the Grisha took me in a didn't see my parents and I never got any letters or responses from them. I'd like to go back just to see if they're okay." Alina nods understanding while Genya stands there blank face.

Suddenly the door opens again pulling the girl's attention towards a red faced Marie, who looked as if she had run from Ketterdam.

"Anya they need you for your final fitting." She says in between breaths. Anya, Genya, and Alina laugh at the winded girl.

"Okay I'm coming." She says still laughing.

"Oh before you go." Alina says running over to her vanity. She takes something out of the drawer before turning around to Anya.

"General Kirigan needed to speak to me yesterday about the presentation and I found this on the floor." She said placing the crow pendant in Anya's palm. Anya's lip slightly open as she stares at the pendant.

"I know how important it is to you." Anya looks up giving her a half smile. She places the pendant in the pocket of her robe.

"Thanks." She whispered before leaving the room.