28

Anya and Alina's laughter could be heard through the empty hallways. After their successful presentation, Genya told the girls that they needed to change for supper. The walked down one of the staircases laughing and chuckling together.

"You have earned the pride you now wear." The girls laughter was cut off by the apparat appearing from behind a dark door.

"Thank you." Anya replied with a blank expression on her face. She still didn't trust the apparat, not after her encounter with him in the library. He was after something, she just couldn't figure out what it was. Anya moves to go around and the apparat steps closer, practically stopping an inch from her face.

"I must say." He whisper his hot breath fanning against Anya's face. "You showed a great deal of power in there. They are erecting altars, but they have no idea what you truly possess. You have no idea how much of a larger role you play.."

"Don't trust him..." The Phoenix whispers. The apparat notices the distant look on Anya's face.

"It's talking to you now....isn't it." The apparat whispers loud enough for only Anya to hear.

"Let me kill him." Anya feels her power surge.

"NO!" Anya shouts stepping away from apparat, the feeling fading away. A look of fear washes over her face as the apparat studies her.

"Why would they do that?" Alina questions grabbing hold of Anya's shoulders, a look of concern plastered on her face from Anya's outburst. She pulls Anya close trying to get her as far away from the apparat as she could.

"Because there is something far greater than armies, something strong enough to topple kings and generals, to crumble nations and birth empires." He says never breaking his gaze from Anya.

"Faith." By some sort of miracle, Genya had appeared on the steps. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, wondering what the apparat had to say to them.

"There you two are... Excuse us, but General Kirigan needs Anya and Alina ready for dinner." The apparat nods his head towards Genya before turning his gaze back to Anya.

"Faith, Anya Djar...remember that." And with that the apparat disappeared down the shadow covered hallway.

"Are you okay?" Alina whispered not wanting to Genya to hear.

"I don't know..." Anya whispered after a moment of silence.

~

Back in the ballroom, the party was in full swing. Kaz and Inej his behind a pillar watching Anya and Alina from across the room. Laughter and in distinct chatting could be heard. Kaz had his eyes fixed on Anya has he watched her chuckle and laugh at whatever the noblemen in front of her was talking about.

"And the lynx flush was to smoke out Arken." Inej realizes as she watched the two Shu girls from a distinct

"Like I said, our futures depend on this. I saw two identical dresses in the fitting room. The target is wearing one, and two Inferni about the same height and build was measured for the other. They need the target for the demonstration, but at the reception, that's when they'll deploy a double for security reasons. So, I set Arken after the double while we stay on the target." Kaz explained regarding the true nature of assigning Arken to retrieve the packages.

"Arken will get caught."

"He chose his fate in Novokribirsk when he met with Zlatan."

"What if you're wrong? What if we sandbagged him with a lynx flush, and the meeting had nothing to do with this?"

"The only two men in the world who profit off the Fold? Doubtful." Kaz watched as Anya and Alina made their way slightly out into the hallway, their guards taking leave from them

"Now." Kaz declared making his way over to them.

Miss Starkov, Miss Djar!" He announces causing said girls to turn around to him. Anya's brown eyes met his and his stomach dropped once again. Like earlier he froze once he saw her. Inej watched as he gaped at Anya like a fish. She quickly cut in.

"We are to escort you to dinner. Could you come with us, please?" Inej says giving off a sweet smile. Anya furrowed her eyes pointing behind her towards her guards.

"Oh, but I thought...." She trailed finding the situation kind of weird. Then again, she was hungry.

"Actually I am kind of hungry...are you Alina?"

"I could eat." The girls chuckled causing Inej's mouth to twitch upwards as she watched the interaction between them. Anya turned her gaze back to Kaz and motioned him forward with her hand.

"Lead the way." She chuckles causing Kaz's heart to beat faster. He snaps out of his daze and quickly turns around beginning to lead the girls down the hall.

Their plan was shortly foiled when Aleksander stopped in front of them his eyes fixed on Anya.

"Thank you. I'll take her from here." Anya smiles sweetly taking a step toward him. He presents a bouquet of black Dahlia flowers.

"For you." A dark look washes over Kaz's face as he watches Anya and Darkling interact.

"You remember?"

"Of course I did. A beautiful flower for a beautiful girl." He crooned. He holds out his arm to her which she accepts, a pink flush forming on her cheeks. Before the Darkling escorts Anya away though he catches sight of a pendant around the guards neck. One he is sure he has seen before.

"Where did you get that pendant?" He asks Kaz.

"I've had it ever since I was little. Can't remember where I got it from." He lies. The Darkling studies him for a second longer before leaving with Anya. Kaz was too busy raging with jealousy firing in his eyes to notice that Alina had walked away from the two guards to be escorted by Feydor.

"What do we do now?" Inej questions.

"Plan B. Find Alina, stay on target with Anya and meet me at the escape route." Kaz quickly catches the gaze of one of the Inferni who had performed. The Inferni looks at him and Inej a look of suspicion forming on his face.

"Scratch that. Plan F." He quickly says as the Inferni draw closer.

"He's an Inferni. Don't take chances." Inej states.

~

IM BACK!!!!!! Thank you so much for your patience everyone. Y'all are the best.