51

They sailed further into the Fold watching the white and orange tendrils dance along the walls of the tunnel. They had been sailing for almost an hour now and Aleksander had yet to tell them the plan for bringing down the fold.

"Why this half measure?" Anya asked looking towards Aleksander, a look of confusion dancing on her face.

"Why just carve a tunnel? You have me. You have Alina. You have us. Destroy the Fold. You said we could." Anya pleaded while Aleksander stared at the dancing light in awe and wonder.

"And why would we destroy the Fold?" He said turning to face the girls.

"It's the greatest weapon that we've got."  He stepped in front of them, keeping his eyes fixed on the horizon. Anya looked down at the ground while chest rose up and down furiously. He never planned to destroy the fold. Anya mentally kicked herself for feeling utterly stupid for once again falling for one of his tricks. He was never going to let them go, everything he said was just another ploy and she fell right into his palms.

~

As they reached the end of the tunnel, the skiff came to a stop at the exit of the Fold. The guests on the ship looked at General Kirigan quizzically.

"Why have we stopped?" The noblewomen behind Anya asked.

"One more demonstration." He announces turning to face the captive audience. Anya spun around trying to tug herself free. She let out a grunt of annoyance dropping the thick, heavy rope to the ground and turning to face Aleksander's back.

"You've seen what the Sun and Phoenix Summoner can do. Now bear witness to what I can do... with their power." He turned back around making his way to the front of the skiff.

"Whatever it is you want us to do, we won't do it." Alina hissed as he walked by her.

"You've done your part." He says glancing at Alina. He stops for a second in front of Anya gently running his fingers down her cheek.

"Now I shall do mine." She pushes his fingers away, letting out a huff of anger. Aleksander slowly lifts his arms pointing his fingers in the direction of Novakribsk. He pushes the shadows in the direction of the town. Anya gasped in horror as she heard the terrified shrieks of the villagers as they were swallowed up by darkness.

"No!" Anya yells quickly grasping Alina's arm. The two girls each raise their free arms pushing the tunnel towards the town. It was horrible, volcra were swooping down the villagers picking them up and dragging them deeper into the fold.

"No, you don't." Aleksander says grabbing Anya's wrist and pushing her down to the floor. Anya lets out a grunt as she lands on the floor her hand still grasped around Alina's. The tunnel pulled back towards the skiff covering the town in darkness once again. Anya pants heavily as Aleksander grasps her collarbone.

"They are traitors who tried to kill you. This is retribution." He hisses. Anya grunts pushing herself away. She lands on her butt looking up at him with a pained look on her face. She couldn't believe Aleksander murdered all those innocent people. Words could not describe the feeling she held for him at the moment. She was aghast. She lets out a soft whimper as her falls down. Alina who rested her forehead against Anya's temple, gently grasped her sisters hand. Together they silently cried while Aleksander looked at them with no emotion in his eyes.

~

"What now?" Jesper asks solemnly, lowering his guns beside him. They had heard the slaughter and watched Anya's attempt to save them through the grate. Those people didn't deserve to die, and while he won't admit. Kaz thought so too.

"We wait." Kaz announces watching Anya through the grate.

"Kaz, you can hear him slaughtering a city." Inej pleads. How could he stand there and tell them to do nothing when the love of his life his up their in pain.

"So you understand the scale of his power, then? Good." He snaps at Inej. Mal, having waited long enough jumped in.

"The bold move is to strike now." He states looking at Kaz

"And the smart one is to get clear of the damned Fold first." He retorts.

"How can you say that when Anya is your there now!" Inej hisses. Kaz clenched his jaw anger. Did she honestly think he wouldn't rather be up there with Anya instead of down here hiding amongst the rats.

"We can't help her if we're dead!" He snaps. Mal who had been watching the whole time nods his head and makes his way towards the stairs. He was going to help the girls whether Kaz wanted to or not.

"Where are you going?" Inej questions.

"I never said I was smart." Letting out an appreciate smile, Inej drops her knife on the table with a clatter. She takes of her coat as Jesper says "Can you believe him?"

"I'm going with him." She announces quickly following the tracker up the stairs before Jesper or Kaz could object.