45

It had been hours before Anya was brought to General Kirigan's tent. After her conversation with the Phoenix, she had sat in the corner of the tent with her knees pulled up to her chest. She had spent the majority of the time sobbing as she mulled over the Phoenix's words. She had spent hours arguing with herself. She wanted to believe the Phoenix lied, that it was responsible for all the pain and destruction she's caused. No matter how much she argued however she couldn't escape the harsh truth. She was the Phoenix and Aleksander knew that just like he knew everything else.

Anya found herself shackled to the ground in General Kirigan's tent. The clothes she worn when she escaped had been replaced by a loose dress that hung off her shoulders. The flap of the tent open and Aleksander walked in. Anya looked up meeting his gaze. He had an expression she couldn't quite decipher, but it almost looked like one of confliction. He open his mouth to speak only to be interrupted by Anya.

"Where's Alina?" She questioned.

"She is fine." He said taking a step closer. His expression fell as she shuffled back, anger dancing in her eyes.

"Do you just expect me to take your word for it?" She spat.

"Yes, I do." He stated as if it was the simplest thing in the world. She rolled her eyes turning her head away from him.

"Anya. You know I never wanted any of this to happen."

"No, you just hoped Alina and I would follow you willingly. I know the real reason why you pushed us. I just wish it didn't take Baghra showing me to believe it."

"And what exactly did she show you?"

"Who you truly are, Aleksander Morozova." She hisses.

"Don't call me that!" He snaps turning is body away from her.

"Why? That is your name tis' it not? Perhaps you would prefer the other name they call you by. Black Heretic!" He whips around grabbing her by the throat. She kept her stone glare even though she was terrified on the inside.

"You know nothing-" Anya interrupts him.

"I know enough." He slowly lets go of her neck, letting out a huff.

"Everything I have done was to ensure a safe future for Ravka."

"You really believe that." She chuckles, raising an eyebrow. His cape swings behind him as he turns to face Ivan.

"Bring her in." He nods stepping out of the tent.

"If you can not trust my word. Then perhaps this may persuade you." Ivan pushed through the flap of the tent with a shackled Alina in his grasp.

"Alina!" Anya yells. She stands up, lunging towards Alina only to be stopped by the tug of her chain. Anya let out a gasp at the sight of Alina. She wore an outfit similar to Anya. Her face was covered in dirt and her hair looked tangled and disheveled. Her gaze fell to pieces of bone sticking out of collarbone.

"What did you do to her?!" She hissed lunging for Aleksander but once again being tugged back by her chains.

"I only gave her what she wanted. A way to transfer her gift to someone who could use it, and in turn use it to control another."

"The Stag." Anya gasped in realization. Aleksander nodded, a complacent look on his face as he looked down on Anya.

"That's how she called to me isn't? The Phoenix can be controlled by the one who bears the Stags power."

"I knew you'd catch on." He smiles as if he was proud.

"You traitorous snake!" She yells lunging for him again. Aleksander raises his hand and Anya suddenly finds herself frozen in place. Her gaze falls to the circular object imbedded in his hand and she groans in pain. She could feel her body fighting for control as is forced to her knees. She feels her lungs constrict and she gasps for air.

"Careful with your words, Anya. Consider whose lives are in your hands." Anya looks up feeling tears well up in her eyes. He releases Anya from his hold and she falls to the ground sucking in every breathe of air she could.

"Do you remember the first thing I told you when I confessed my affections? The only thing more powerful than you or me is the two of us. Together." He kneels down gently grasping her chin and lifting her head to meet his gaze.

"Together, we can end all wars. We can protect our own. Is that not what you want?" Anya's lip quivered as she stared into his dark brown irises.

"Are we destroying the Fold?"

"We can do anything. Together." He drops her chin and raises his hand again.

"What... What's happening?" Suddenly, she feels a burning sensation in her back and she lets out a gasp of pain.

"Wait. I don't understand. What..." she screams out in pain as the burning increases. It feels like someone was taking a metal pole and carving her back in. The pain goes on for a few more minutes before Aleksander drops his hand. He picks her up and guides her over to a mirror, she looks over her shoulder and gasps in shock. There engraved on her back sat two large bird wings that stretched all the way down her spine.

David who stood quietly in the corner stepped out from the shadows to address Aleksander.

"That should, uh..."

"Bridge the gap?" Aleksander asks cutting him off.

"Yes. You should now have full access to all of her light and whatever resides in Anya. In theory." David concludes before leaving the tent. Anya spins around to face him. She flares her eyes but suddenly feels them go dim as Aleksander raises his hand towards her.

"This is our power." Alina spats after watching the horror show that just happened. Aleksander goes to leave the tent looking over his shoulder to the two girls.

"But now I control it."