50

The volcras screeches grew louder as they descended deep into the fold. Whenever lighting struck they caught a glimpse of the volcras figures swarming around them. They knew they were there and it was only a matter a time before they honed in on their prey.

"Do something." Anya hisses at Aleksander after seeing one of the volcras fly over their heads. Aleksander said nothing as he continued to look forward a look of disregard on his face. He wanted this to happen. Anya and Alina share a look before and grasped each other's hands summoning both of their powers.

"No." Aleksander says grasping both of their shoulders. "Remember who's driving." Anya and Alina gasp as they felt their power amplify. Anya feels a surge and a large blast of energy shoots out of her chest pushing the darkness away. White and orange tendrils shimmer around the tunnel causing everyone on the deck to murmur in awe and disbelief.

"Your power is mine now." Aleksander hisses menacingly into Anya's ear causing her to wince in disdain. He steps away and Anya shares a solemn look with Alina. They were trapped.

~

Jesper looked up as a large rumble fills his ear drums from up above.

"So? What's our play?" He asks, looking at Kaz expectantly.

"We wait." Jesper nods before doing a double take.

"For what?"

"For whatever the general has planned."

"You figured him out?" Jesper said.

"Not quite." Kaz replied, shaking his head.

"Consider the scenario. The Sun Summoner and Phoenix Summoner fled from his palace, and now they're  tied to the deck." Kaz tightened his grip around the head of the cane as he thought about Anya. His Anya who was currently tied to the deck being forced to use her power.

Inej noticing movement from the corner of her eye, made her way to the back of the skiff. She sneaks up behind the unsuspecting stowaway who held his gun drawn. She presses her knife against the back of his neck, causing him to put his arms up in surrender.

"We're sailing for a city where another Ravkan general hired Arken to kill them." Kaz explained.

"And I saw his face as he boarded. I know that look." He says looking up in the direction of where he believed the General stood.

"He's a man consumed with vengeance."

"See it enough in the mirror, do you. So? What kind of revenge is he planning, exactly?" Jesper asked growing ever more excited about the prospect of a fight.

"We know it requires the Sun and Phoenix Summoner, which makes them valuable to us."

"Don't let Anya hear you say that." Jesper smirked playfully.

"You remember what happened last time?" Kaz rolled his eyes moving on from Jespers comment.

"They're the ones keeping everyone safe in here. If we have control of at least one of them, then we call the shots. We need to threaten they're life." Kaz said begrudgingly, he didn't want to hurt Anya but unfortunately he can't see any outcome where someone will come out unscathed.

"What?" Inej and the stowaway said as she held his gun to his head.

"Who's this? Who are you?" Jesper said preparing to draw his guns.

"A stowaway." Inej sneers. "Why pick this of all skiffs?"

"To kill the general and save Alina." The stowaway stated cooley.

"I'll ask again." Jesper said cocking his gun."

"Who are you?"

"Mal Oretsev." He stated.

"You know Alina?" Kaz asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I do."

"What about Anya?" Inej asked, worried for her new found friend.

"I haven't met her personally, but from what Alina's told me she's a good person and she cares for her." Inej nodded

"Who's in control of them?" Kaz approach anxiously, wanting to know how to save Anya.

"The general I'm going to kill." That statement was enough for Kaz to trust him. It was blantly clear that this man held no loyalty for the General at all.

"Inej, give him his gun." Kaz ordered.

"Why?" She asked quizzically.

"Because if he isn't with Kirigan's crew, he's with ours." And with that Inej lowered her position on Mal and handed him the gun. Mal nodded slightly towards Kaz who returned the gesture.

I'm coming for you Anya.