55

The rundown and exhausted group of five sat around a blazing fire. A ragged blanket given to her by Kaz wrapped around Anya's shivering torso. She laid her head lazily against Zoya's shoulder with the latter resting hers on Anya's head. She felt weak after exherting all that power.. They said nothing as they both gazed at the flickering hot flames. Mal wrapped his arm tightly around Alina while she spoke with Inej, who had a look of pure amazement on her face. She couldn't believe she was in the presence of two living Saints.

"I've never met a Saint before." Inej smiles as Kaz and Jesper joins the group. The had ventured into what was left the Novakribrisk for the essentials they needed for their journey. Anya lifts her head off Zoya's shoulder slightly as Kaz places a gentle hand on her shoulder. They're gazes meet and she lets out a tired smile while he rubs her shoulder blade comfortingly with his thumb.

"I've never been a Saint before." Alina chuckles.

"Wherever you are, whatever you need... my hand is yours. Both of yours." Inej says taking both of the girls hands.

"I think I like that hand more with a dagger in it." Anya says. Inej's eyes visibly lighten at Anya's comment. Though they had travel for a bit and had gotten to know each other, it still made Inej's heart burst to hear a compliment such as that from a Saint. Alina looks down pulling out her own dagger she had stolen from the Little Palace from underneath her blanket. It seemed like it was so long ago when she hid it under her pillow to protect herself. She plays with it in her hands before looking up at Inej.

"I couldn't hold onto yours, so take mine as a replacement." Alina says handing Inej her dagger. A wide grin forms on Inej's face as she takes the beautiful dagger in her hands.

"It's not much, but it'll fend off a bully or two." Inej chuckles looking from Alina and the dagger with glee.

"I know just what to name it." Jesper walks up to the group, holding a change of clothes. Mal takes the pile in his hands and nods gratefully. Anya stands up from her seat on the log and takes the other pile, hugging it close to her body.

"Step one for any good plan, a change of clothes." He says glancing at the there.

"It's worked for me." Kaz walks up to stand next Anya. She nuzzles herself closer to him as if she was an animal curling for warmth. He was glad they were able to escape, and he was glad to have Anya back by his side again. But he was worried about what would be in store for them now that Anya and Alina failed to bring down the fold as they promised.

"Thank you." Mal said. Jesper nods. Alina steps forward until she was only a few steps away from Kaz.

"So... will you still be trying to kidnap us?" Alina questioned even though she saw the way her sister and Kaz were nuzzled together. It warmed her heart to see that her sister found someone who actually cares for her. She knew that when it came to it, he would protect Anya with his life.

"Course not." Jesper says causing Kaz to shoot him a side-eyed glance.

"Have you found religion, too?" Kaz said with his eyebrows raised causing Anya to slightly chuckle. Kaz couldn't help but let out a small grin as he quickly glance at Anya before turning his attention back to Jesper.

"No, it's just..." Jesper sighs. "I'm exhausted. Besides... it'd be bad form to kidnap someone after they saved your life." The group all accept for Kaz let out a chuckle.

"You two are quite valuable, you know?" Anya looked down at her feet. This was only the beginning. Half of Ravka probably saw what happened in the Fold. She knew they would be hinted wherever they go especially now since Aleksander has been indisposed.