43

"Alina. She's in trouble." Anya gasped scrambling to her feet. Kaz furrowed his eyebrows standing up to meet her eye level. Kaz looked at her in confusion, a million thoughts running through this head. How could she know Alina's in trouble?

"What do you mean she's in trouble?"

"Aleksan-General Kirigan found her. She's in danger." Anya lets an anguish scream clutching her head in pain. Kaz places his hands over here guiding her to look at him.

"What are you talking about? How do you know?"

"I-I can hear her. I-I can see her. Kirigan is with her. He-He killed the Stag." Anya mutters pushing Kaz's hands off of her. She stumbles back wrapping her arms around her. She winces as her eyes flash between her bright orange and brown eyes. The veins around her face grow before fading away.

"Stag?" Kaz asked, his eyes furrowed.

"I need to go." She whimpers pushing past Kaz. As she walks past him, he grabs both of her arms forcing her to stop in front of her. Anya tries to pull away from his grasp, she could feel herself losing control and she didn't want Kaz to get hurt. Kaz could feel her shaking furiously underneath his palms, he reached up placing a hand on her cheek forcing her to look at him.

"Hang on, hang on, hang on. Slow down." He says, refusing to let her out of his grip.

"Kaz please let me go, please!" Anya cries stepping away from Kaz, a tear running down her face.

"Just slow down, please."

"I can't control it. He's-He's somehow controlling me with Alina. When it comes, I can't stop it. Okay? I could hurt you."

"I'll take that chance." Kaz stated. Anya looked into his grey eyes knowing his answer was genuine. Anya leaned in and ever so gently placed a soft kiss on the corner of his mouth. Anya pulled back staring at the man in front of her, she knew what she had to do. That doesn't mean it didn't hurt her any less. Kaz's widen in surprise as Anya pulled back. She slowly reached placing her hand against his cheek. She rub her thumb along his cheek wanting to memorize every detail knowing this may be the last time she'll see him again.

"I know." She whispers placing her hand gently on the back of his neck. His eyes closed in contempt as Anya gently ran her fingers through the hairs on his neck. Kaz examined his childhood friend. His cheek burned at her touch, yet he still yearned for it. Despite what his brain told him, he knew he needed more of it. Taking a deep breath he closed his eyes slowly moving back in until her soft whisper interrupted him.

"But I won't." He pulled back in confusion before he felt his world go dark. Anya gently lowered Kaz's conscious body to the ground as she let out heavy breaths. She couldn't risk hurting Kaz or anyone else. Kaz wouldn't wake up until Anya was long gone. She'd hope he would take this as an act of betrayal and return to Ketterdam where he and his crows would safe. Safe from Grisha, safe from Aleksander and most of all. Safe from her.

She rode for hours until she finally came across a second army company. The rose their weapons and as if it was slow motion, Anya raised her hands in the air letting the second army restrain her.

"Send word to General Kirigan." One of the soldiers restraining her said.

"He'll want to hear the good news." A lone tear ran down Anya's cheek as she was carried into the carriage.

"I'm sorry, Kaz."