22

"Here's the plan." Kaz Brekker says to his team "I'll walk the route our targets take from the ballroom to the dinner event and look for an ambush point."

Kaz walks down the empty hallway adorned in a Little Palace Uniform he had stolen. Just as he told his team he looks around for the fitting room. He reaches the end of the hallway running his hands over the wall trying to locate an entrance. Footsteps echo in the distance and he pushes on the wall a few more times in hopes of opening it. He hears faint voices come around the corner and he quickly hide behind the door in the opening behind him.

"You're gonna love your dress!" Marie gushed as she led Anya down a hallway towards the fitting room her arm intertwined with Marie's. Marie had practically dragged her out of Alina's room after she had informed Anya that the Tailors needed her for one final fitting.

"It's a beautiful red color with golden embroidery etched in the skirt...." Marie goes on and on. Kaz peeks through the crevice of the door laying eyes on two girls one wearing a bright blue Kefta and the other a bathrobe. He studies the back of the dark haired girl. The Phoenix Summoner. Wanting to get a better look he side steps out from behind the door and begins walking as if he had been patrolling the hall.

He purposely runs into her shoulder causing the girl to stumble into her friend who catches her from falling.

"Oh Saints are you okay?" Anya questions looking at the soldier who ran into her. She must have been further out in the hallway than she thought.

Kaz's heart drops into his stomach as he stares at the girl in front of him. She was a Shu girl with big brown eyes. Eyes he would recognize anywhere. The same eyes he would yearn in anticipation for when he was a child to look into everyday. He stood there flabbergasted as he opened and closed his mouth.

Anya stood their slightly uncomfortable as the guard just stood there frozen in their place. She took that time to observe him. There was something familiar about him but she just couldn't put her finger on it.

"Do I know you?" Anya questioned her eyes furrowed in confusion and slight recognition. Kaz snapped out of his state slightly hurt by her question but understanding. It had been years since they last saw each other and from the looks of it they had both changed a lot.

"I don't think so. I was assigned for extra protection today. I have never stepped foot here." He says coming up with a quick lie.

"Oh, I'm sorry then." Anya says feeling slightly disappointed for some reason. "You just remind me of someone." Kaz's breath hitched in his throat as he stared at the brown eyed girl. The hidden door opened from the inside and Marie pulled Anya through her eyes not once leaving Kaz's until the door shut between them.

Anya placed her hand on her stomach thinking about the interaction. She scrunched her eyebrows thinking to herself. She pulls the pendant out of her pocket running her fingers over the charm.

'It couldn't be.'

~

On the other side of the door Kaz runs his fingers over the pendant that hung around his next.

'It's her'

~

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!!!!!! THEY'VE FINALLY MET!!