38

Aleksander stoic expression dropped down forming one of betrayal. He keeps his gaze solely on Anya, which gives Kaz the opportunity to sneak something out of his pocket.

"Come Anya. I won't ask you again." He demands menacingly. Anya shakes her head raising her chin the air. She wouldn't back down. She's done being told what to do.

"Well then, perhaps I should move my affections over to Alina. Seeing as you made your choice." Anya snarls. She would rather die, than subject Alina to a life with him.

"You're disgusting, and if it wasn't pretty clear I'm not interested in being a captive anymore. Nor is Alina. In fact she's probably halfway to Novyi Zem by now."

Aleksander dips his head again, almost as if he was ashamed. He looks back up, a dark look imbued in his eyes making Anya shiver. Shadows start to sneak towards the pair and Aleksander takes long strides towards the pair raising his hands.

"You should have stayed in Ketterdam, Mr. Brekker."

Suddenly Kaz pushes Anya behind him and throws the bomb the bomb to the ground. The explosion distracts Aleksander and once the smoke clears he realizes both Kaz and Anya had escaped. He huffs in anger. Guess he will have to be the villain after all.

~

Anya and Kaz eventually made it back towards the tavern where they found Jesper already waiting for them. Jesper peers around anxiously until he sees a winded Kaz and Anya approaching.

"Are you two alright?" Jesper asks.

"Hardly. Had a run in with the Black General himself. He was not particularly happy." Kaz huffs catching his breath.

"Obviously." Anya states sarcastically. Jesper let's out a snort while Kaz shoots her an unimpressed look. Inej jumps down from the ledge with a grunt and falls back against the wall holding her side.

"Inej." Anya gasps steadying the girl.

"The Inferni, she's dead." Inej grunts. Anya crouches down getting a look at Inej's wound. It was deep. Anya rips off a piece of fabric from her coat and presses it against her wound. Kaz watches fondly as Anya takes care of Inej.

"She's gonna need stitches. I can do it, but not here." She says looking at Kaz.

"Well, you can't manage a horse." Jesper states. "Not even riding double."

"We'll have to come up with another plan." Kaz announces.

"Saints." Inej whispers as Anya applies pressure to her throbbing wound, to which she sends a sympathetic glance. Jesper looks over spotting General Kirigan's carriage completely unguarded.

"That's a pretty nice ride."

"Yes, indeed it is." Kaz says. Anya helps Inej to her feet and throws her arm around her shoulders. They make their way over to the carriage and Jesper opens the door startling an unsuspecting David who was reading a book.

"Oh. Hello." Jesper smiles teasingly. David grunts quickly flinging the book at Jespers head. He jumps out the other side of the carriage only to be knock out by Kaz. Anya runs down wincing at the sight of David.

Jesper jumps out of the carriage looking down at David. An astonished look etched onto his face.

"He threw a book at me."

"Well, he's always been more of the flee than fight type of guy anyway." Anya quips. Jesper lets out a light hearty laugh as Anya jumps into the carriage with Kaz jumping in behind her and Jesper taking the wheel.

~

Aleksander approaches the last known location of his carriage. Ivan helps a disheveled David from the ground.

"They stole-"

"I know." Aleksander says cutting Ivan off.

"It was the thieves." David lets out a grunt as he tries to fix his appearance. Why General Kirigan wanted him to come on this mission to begin with? He doesn't know. He was never particularly close to Anya and he didn't know Alina well. He only knew Anya because of Genya.

"I'll find a horse and I can catch up to them." Ivan offers.

"No, it's a waste of time. Alina is not with them and Anya is beginning to test the true strength of her power, I'm not ready to face that yet. Alina however is on her own. And our priority now is to locate her as quickly as possible." David raises his hands catching Aleksander's attention

"You don't need to put..." he trailed off knowing it would be in futile.

"Yes, David?"

"Well, Genya gave Alina ring." He begins to explain. "Made of pure iridium, not native to Ravka. So when we get within one mile of her, I can direct us." A smug smile begins to form on Aleksander's face. He knows for a fact Anya's necklace, the one given to her by the thief is also iridium.

"Well done." He praises. "Proving again the many uses of a Durast."

"Let's go."

"What about Anya?" Ivan asks.

"Do not fear, Ivan. Once she hears we have Alina in our grasp she will come to us. That was a sister does. Doesn't it?"

~

Uh oh did I just do that? I think I did.