CHAPTER 54

I watch in amusement as Adelyn excitedly tells me about all the sights of France she's going to show me. As much as I love her and her ideas, I've already planned the entire trip.

Tomorrow I'm going to take her out to dinner at the Restaurant near our hotel, then, we'll walk to Monceau Park where I'll propose.

I know she'll say yes as we've been discussing our future a lot recently, but I'm still nervous. What if she says no? What if another wedding and another marriage is too traumatic for her?

Someone's stressed.

I run an exasperated hand down my face, I'm Luca fucking De Santis, since when was I nervous about a girl? Let alone being rejected by one.

"Luca?" Adelyn's voice snaps me out of my thoughts as her smile falters, "Are you listening to me?" she asks, a weak chuckle slipping from her lips.

"Always tesoro," I say with a smile, leaning down to kiss her. "Why did you look so annoyed then?" she asks, a trace of hesitance in her voice.

"I'm sorry, I was just thinking," I confess, swiping my thumb over her lips. "About?" she asks, resting her head on her arms as she lies down on our bed. "Don't worry that pretty little head of yours," I chuckle, lying down next to her.

"Ok well I was just saying that I think we should probably see my family whilst we're here," she sighs, moving her head to my stomach.

I furrow my eyebrows at how tired she sounds as she says that, "You sound as though you don't want to," I say gently, combing my hands through her hair.

She hums in response and takes my spare hand to rest on her stomach, "I want to see Mama and Lia and Auntie Clarisse, but I don't want to have to see Father," she explains, playing with the rings on my fingers.

"Why not?" I ask, playing with the ends of her hair. "I just don't," she groans, carelessly flicking my hand up.

"Why not?" I repeat, my tone firmer as I comb her hair with my fingers again.

"He was mean to me, at me and Anton's wedding," she sighs, closing her eyes as she interlocks our fingers on her stomach.

"What did he say mi amore?" I ask softly, drawing small circles on her hand. "He blamed me for our marriage ending, he told me that you were probably disgusted by my scars, that it would look bad for a man in the Mafia to have a wife who marked herself like I have," she says, her voice small as her grip on my hand tightens.

I feel a new wave of hatred towards André come over me as I take a deep breath, controlling my anger as I lean down and kiss her temple. "Adelyn we both know that's not true," I say, "You're my pretty girl remember?" I remind her softly.

She nods, "I don't think I want him in my life anymore," she whispers, "But he's my Father and that would break Mama's heart,"

"I think she would understand," I try to reassure her, knowing damn well that once we're married I'm not letting André say shit to my wife anymore.

"You know their marriage was arranged too. Mama comes from a wealthy French family and they gave her to Father, I don't think she ever loved him truly. She loves me though," she tells me, her last sentence almost said as if assuring herself of her Mother's love.

"She loves you more than anything in the world amore," I say, "She can come live in Italy with us," I suggest, knowing that my family would be more than happy to accommodate for the kind woman.

Adelyn chuckles and shakes her head, "No, Mama loves France too much, it's her home,"

I smile, "Like Mother like daughter,"