CHAPTER 20

"Why the fuck would you say that to her?" Carlos asks, his voice pained as he rubs his forehead.

"I was pissed," I shrug sheepishly, now very much ashamed of what I said to Adelyn earlier.

"She was asking to visit her cousin who's been MIA for the past few days and you just flipped your shit," Carlos says, his voice still sounding pained.

"Look, I was already pissed at finding out Anton's been spotted in Italy and a quarter of my fucking men are spies, and the thought of her going away without me tipped me over the edge," I explain.

"Well did you explain that to her?" he asks, as if it's the simplest fucking thing in the world,

"More or less," I wince,

"More or less? Fucking hell you're an idiot," he gives me an exasperated look, "You should let her go after this whole ordeal," he scoffs;

"Aren't you supposed to be my supportive best friend?" I narrow my eyes at him.

"Not when you fuck up and tell your wife to 'know her fucking place'. This is when I tell you you've fucked up and need to fix it," Carlos tells me.

"I know," I sigh;

"I'll come with you though. I also want to scavenge through your pantry to see if there's any good food," he winks at me,

"There'll be some soufflés for you," I tell him, getting up from his penthouse's island bench and grabbing my keys.

"You go ahead," he tells me, "I'll take my motorbike,"

I roll my eyes at him, I swear that thing's like a child to him.

I walk out and get into my car, I start it up and start driving to mine and Adelyn's house.

I try calling her for the fiftieth time but she doesn't answer, and honestly, I can't blame her.

I said some fucked up shit to her and I deserve whatever anger she portrays onto me.

If Mum found out I had told her to 'know her place' she'd probably disown me and I can't blame her either.

"Fuck," I sigh, "Please please please forgive me Adelyn," I whisper to no one in particular.

I pull into our driveway to see Carlos sitting on the front step smoking a cigarette. A bad habit I hope someone will one day make him kick.

"After you," he winks at me, I roll my eyes and unlock the front door.

We're met with a dead silent house and I feel my stomach drop. It's too fucking quiet.

"Adelyn?" I call out, not really expecting an answer,

"Addy?" Carlos says, his eyebrows furrowing with concern when him too gets no response.

"Let's try the kitchen, she likes to cook right?" Carlos reasons,

I nod, scared now of all the possibilities that could have happened to her.

"She's upset, her happy place is in the kitchen, it would make sense for her to be in there. And it would make even more sense for her to ignore you," Carlos offers me a comforting smile as we head to the kitchen.

When we arrive my eyes fall to the soufflés all
on the ground. The fine china smashed with the soufflés smeared around them.

"What the fuck?" I mutter, as Carlos walks out and starts looking around the house.

"Luca come here!" Carlos yells from the living room.

I immediately worry when he doesn't call me 'Luca' and I run to his voice.