CHAPTER 52

TW: PANIC ATTACK
&
Before you continue reading: I went back and changed Nia's (the girl introduced to Adelyn after she married Anton, who was meant to be her personal servant) age to 17
————————————————————

I wrap my arm tighter around Adelyn, who's already snuggled into my side, a blanket covering us as we watch Aristocats on the movie screen.

Val thought it was overkill having a home cinema but now it's finally paying off, because Adelyn loves it.

We were originally planning on watching it yesterday but Adelyn was too tired after last night so we put it off for this morning, and she seems happy to start the day with her favourite movie.

I look down at her and smile at her happy face, smiling as she watches the movie with Duchess curled up in her lap.

I lean down and kiss Adelyn's forehead, resting my chin on her head as I watch the cats on the screen.

I think Adelyn would kill me with her bare hands if I tried to get rid of Duchess like Edgar's trying to get rid of the cats.

My phone rings and I go to turn it off, only to see Carlos' name. "You can take it," Adelyn smiles at me, seeing it's Carlos who's calling me.

"Thanks baby," I murmur, kissing her before getting up and accepting the call.

"Igor's gone," Carlos says instantly, making me stop in my tracks.

"What?" I ask in disbelief, stunned as how this could happen.

"When we were transporting him to a different estate for holding, he somehow escaped the van he was in, we think some of Anton's men helped him," Carlos tells me, "I'm on my way to yours right now,"

"I thought they weren't on speaking terms," I say, spitting out each word as anger crashes over me.

"I didn't think so either, but apparently Anton still cares enough to save him," Carlos scoffs, his motorbike revving in the background.

"Fucking hell," I groan, running a hand through my hair.

How the fuck could this have happened?

"Luca?" I hear Adelyn's voice as she walks into the hallway outside the cinema room. "What's wrong?" she asks, her voice laced with concern.

"Nothing," I shake my head, wanting to shield her from all of this shit which has consumed her life for the past month.

"Luca I grew up in the Mafia, I've been trained the same as Val, don't try and shelter me," she says softly, not breaking eye contact as she walks over to me.

I breathe out a frustrated sigh and hang up on Carlos, "We had Anton's brother and he's escaped. We think Anton's men might have helped him," I tell her, wrapping my arms around her as my head drops to her shoulder.

I'm so tired.

"That's not possible Luca. Igor and Anton aren't on good terms," she says softly, running her hands through my hair to calm me down.

"I know," I mutter, "How do you know though?" I ask, not bothering to lift my head as Adelyn's soft fingers continue to run through my hair.

"When I was at Anton's I had a maid called Mila. She filled me in on everything which has happened since Anton came into power," she tells me, her voice still gentle as she continues combing through my hair.

I lift my head and look at her, "You need to tell me everything that you know," I tell her, "Please," I add sheepishly, not liking the way I just ordered her to do something.