𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧

ALEX WAS HANGING OUT WITH NEWT AND the Track-hoes since it was another slow day, and she did not want to be alone after the Banishing

ALEX WAS HANGING OUT WITH NEWT AND the Track-hoes since it was another slow day, and she did not want to be alone after the Banishing. She and Newt were taking turns hitting a partially chopped tree with an axe while Zart worked on getting to roots out of the ground. Thomas and Chuck sat there doing nothing.

"All right, but why would Alby go into the Maze? I mean he's not a...he's not a Runner," the boy in the blue shirt pointed out as if it weren't already obvious to the rest of them.

The girl sighed as she wiped a bead of sweat from her forehead, stopping it from trickling down her face as she panted a bit. "He's the leader. He can be anything that he needs to be."

"Plus, things are different now. Alby went to retrace Ben's footsteps before sundown," the second-in-command explained as he got a bit tired of the new boy just sitting there. "Look, are you gonna help?

"Okay, so he's gonna go back to where Ben was just stung—"

New cut him off before he could even finish the sentence because they all knew what he was going to ask. "Alby knows what he's doing. All right? He knows better than any of us."

"What does that mean?" Thomas questioned, stabbing the ground with the machete in his hands. Alex was really starting to get frustrated with him. Maybe Gally was right. This kid did ask a lot of questions.

"All right, it's like you have heard, yeah?" she piped in, pausing her chopping to inform him, "Every month, the Box sends up a new arrival. But someone had to be first, right? Someone had to have spent a whole month in the Glade, alone. That was Alby."

Newt nodded along with what she was saying as he cut. "I mean, it can't have been easy. But when those other boys and Alex here started coming up, one after the other, he saw the truth, and he learned that the most important thing is that we all have each other because we're all in this together."

Thomas nodded, showing them that he understood before making his way over to them with his machete. He kneeled on the ground as Newt and Alex backed up to give him space. He got in a good position before swinging hard at the base of the tree, creating a mark. Alex looked to Newt and smiled a bit.