𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

IT WAS BONFIRE NIGHT

IT WAS BONFIRE NIGHT. Alex always looked forward to the day that Greenie's came just so that she could have a night off to hang out with her friends and drink awful drinks. There were so very few times that she was truly happy in the Glade, and these Bonfires were those times. 

These boys were her family, no matter how disgusting and annoying some or all of them were. They were the only people she could remember knowing, and even though she wondered sometimes if she had a different life before, she was grateful that she had friends and companions to keep her sane in that godforsaken place.

So, at the particular moment that Newt was introducing everyone to the Greenie, she was walking with Clint and Jeff on the way back from getting drinks. "And we got two and a half Med-jacks, Clint, Jeff, and, the half, Alex. They spend most of their time bandaging up the Slicers."

"I thought Alex did Weapons," the Greenie commented as they walked past them, and Alex just kept walking while listening for Newt's explanation of her and her jobs.

"That's the half," he explained. "She used to be Keeper of the Med-jacks until she founded the Weapons and left those two shuck-faces by themselves. She still helps out from time to time, though."

Alex was almost to her seat when there was some grunting and yelling behind her. She whipped around just in time to watch Gally and the boy he was fighting almost topple the Greenie over. 

The fighters got back up, and the Keeper of the Builders turned to the new boy with a questioning expression. "What do you say, Greenie? Want to see what you're made of?"

"Greenie! Greenie! Greenie!" the crowd began chanting, desperate for someone to beat Gally for once.

Alex rolled her eyes before walking alongside Minho to the circle that was beginning to form around the two. She muttered, "This is going to end horribly for someone."

"It always does," he replied.

"All right, the rules are simple, Greenie," Gally informed him, rolling up his sleeves as the crowd quieted down a bit so they could hear what they were saying. "I try to push you out of the circle. You try to last more than five seconds. Ready?"