𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱

ALEX HAD A BUSY DAY THAT DAY

ALEX HAD A BUSY DAY THAT DAY. There was one of these days about once a week where everyone scheduled something all at once. It was absolute anarchy all day, and she hadn't stopped moving since she woke up. If she wasn't teaching someone, she was straightening up the Range or running to someone's aid because they accidentally stabbed themselves with an arrow because apparently boys cannot handle weapons correctly without injuring someone.

That was why she let out a huge sigh in relief when she finally got to sit down and eat at dinner. Her legs ached, and she had, like, eight cramps at once. She threw her tray against the table aggressively as she plopped down in the seat next to Newt.

"You okay?" he asked, eyeing her with a concerned look as she put her face in her hands and rested her elbows on the table. She looked like she was about to pass out, sweat dripping down her forehead. She could not wait to hit the showers and go to sleep.

"Yeah, I'm just tired. It's been a long day." She nodded slowly, staking a deep breath before picking up her fork and stabbing at her potatoes violently. She took a bite before turning to the blonde boy next to her. "Do you think Gally acts differently around me?"

He furrowed his eyebrows and took a sip of his water, not knowing what she meant. "What do you mean?"

"Well, I was talking to Winston the other day, and he said that Gally doesn't get as mad at me as he does at other people. Is that true?" she questioned, lowering her voice a bit as the boy they were talking about sat down a couple seats down.

He did not even hesitate for a second before he answered, "Oh, yeah. Definitely."

"Really?" she quizzed, totally baffled. If so many people had noticed this before, how come she had not, and how come no one told her about it? Were they scared of Gally? Of her? Why was she completely oblivious to everything happening around her?

"I mean, you're the only one the slinthead communicates with through something other than grunts and yelling," he pointed out, and she thought about how Gally always just shouted angrily at people all of the time whenever they did the slightest thing wrong. "You've got to admit he's got a short temper."