𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

A GATHERING OF THE KEEPERS WAS GOING to decide Greg's fate

A GATHERING OF THE KEEPERS WAS GOING to decide Greg's fate. He was currently unconscious in the Pit after receiving a tranquilizing shot when he woke up screaming and throwing rocks at people walking by through the bars.

Alex wasn't even sure why they were having the Gathering. Greg attacked one of their own, breaking one of their three rules, and that was a crime punishable by Banishing. In other words, they forced him to stay in the Maze while the walls closed. No one had ever survived a night in the Maze.

Every single time something like this happened and the Keepers met to make a decision, they all hoped they would come up with a different punishment, and every single time, they didn't. That was why the girl was in a bad mood as she made her way toward the Gathering Hut.

"Hey," a voice called from behind her, and she turned her head to see Gally jogging toward her. She waited for him to join her side before she kept walking, and he looked at her with a slightly concerned expression. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I just didn't get a lot of sleep last night," she answered, and it was partly true. She had stayed up all night thinking about Greg.

He nodded slowly, but when he realized that she was upset about something and not just tired, he spoke up. "You shouldn't feel bad, you know? He brought this on himself by attacking you."

"I don't feel bad," she lied, but when he gave her a look, she sighed, leaning her head back and giving in. "Fine. It's just that he was stung. He didn't know what he was doing."

"There's no cure for the Sting. He'll drive himself insane. We're doing him a favor," Gally told her in an attempt to comfort her.

"That's what we always say. 'We're helping them.' 'They'll go crazy if we don't do this,' she groaned, running a hand through her hair and stopping to face him as she spoke. "But we all know it's just a way to make ourselves feel better about sending someone to their death."

He fell silent after that as she started moving again and walked a few steps ahead of him. He followed after her after a second though. He smiled. "I heard you kicked his ass, though."

"That is so not the point," Alex responded, rolling her eyes with a small grin as he opened the door of the Gathering Hut for her. When she entered, she realized that they were the last people to arrive. So, they just stood toward the back and nodded to Alby, signaling that they were ready to start.