𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨

"GREG, ARE YOU SERIOUSLY TELLING ME that you've been here a year, and you still can't build a shucking fire?" Alex asked with raised eyebrows, watching the boy struggle at assembling the stack of firewood

"GREG, ARE YOU SERIOUSLY TELLING ME that you've been here a year, and you still can't build a shucking fire?" Alex asked with raised eyebrows, watching the boy struggle at assembling the stack of firewood. He had tried three times to get them all to stand up, but each time, they had a tumbled down, creating a stack below them. 

After dinner, she had made her way over to the spot where they had always built the welcoming bonfire for the Greenies. All around her, people were cutting wood and Builders were hauling logs over for them to sit on during the party. Gally, who was missing, was most likely off brewing his special drink that made. It was probably the most disgusting thing Alex had ever tasted, and that included Frypan's cooking, but for some reason, they all drank it anyway.

Greg, one of the Runners, rolled his eyes. "You know, Alex, since you have such a big problem with it, you could stop complaining and come help."

"I am perfectly content just standing here and watching you fail," she replied with a smirk. "Thank you for offering, though." 

The boy glared at her as she walked away toward Newt, who was overseeing everything to make sure no one cut off their finger or someone else's head. When he saw her approaching, he smiled, "Hey, Alex."

"Hello, Newt," she greeted before getting to what she really wanted to talk about. "Where's the Greenie? I haven't seen much of him. Usually they're so curious when they first come up."

"Alby's talking to him right now — trying to get him to come out. The little bugger's really shy. Won't talk to anyone except Alby and sometimes me," Newt informed her. 

Alex nodded, "Yeah, Minho asked him if he could borrow some salt at dinner, and the poor shank looked like he might pass out."

"Sounds about right," Newt said with a small chuckle. "We might skip you and the Slicers tomorrow — maybe even the Builders. He doesn't seem like the weapons type." When she let out a sigh, he ran a hand through his hair. "Yeah, I know. I'm sorry."

"It's fine." 

All of the Keepers gathered around the pile of sticks, each with a spear that had fire on the end. This was probably Alex's favorite part of the night. The counted down before throwing the spear into the middle of the stack. It burst into flames, and they all cheered, excited to start the party.