𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

ALEX WASN'T GOING TO LIE

ALEX WASN'T GOING TO LIE. She had been avoiding Gally for about a week now ever since she realized how close they were getting. She didn't really know exactly why she got all freaked out by it. She was close with a lot of people around the Glade, or she thought she was until she thought about it. 

The only people she was actually really close to were Winston and Minho and now, apparently Gally. It was hard to get close to people, especially in the conditions they lived in. It could be ripped away with you in the blink of an eye.

She tried to make it not obvious that she was avoiding him, but she was pretty sure he had noticed. He had begun looking at her a lot more often, and whenever she saw him coming she tried to walk the other way. That was why she groaned out loud when Newt told her that Gally had scheduled a training session for that day.

He caught up with her on her way to the Weapons Range, and she realized that she couldn't run away then. She was careful not to look him in the eye as she walked. He turned to her, falling into line with her. "Are you avoiding me?"

"Why would I be avoiding you?" she scoffed. She mentally cursed herself since she was usually such a great liar, but for some reason, she absolutely sucked at it at that moment.

"I don't know. That's why I'm asking you," he responded with a shrug. "But the other day, when I saw you walking to lunch, I wanted to join you, and you ran which was pretty weird since you hate running."

She shook her head. "I didn't run."

"I'm pretty sure you ran," he chuckled with a smile that didn't last long when he realized that she wasn't smiling either. She acted almost upset because of what he said.

She glanced at him finally, but not for long. "Well, I wasn't running from you. I didn't even see you. I was running toward the smell of Frypan's delicious cooking of course."

"Whatever you say," he mumbled, but she could tell that he wasn't really convinced.

They walked in awkward silence for a moment, the only sound being the crunching of leaves and snapping of twigs under their feet. Finally, she spoke up. "Why would you care if I was avoiding you?"