𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

IT HAD BEEN EXACTLY A MONTH SINCE Chuck came up in the Box, so that meant they were getting a new Greenie that day

IT HAD BEEN EXACTLY A MONTH SINCE Chuck came up in the Box, so that meant they were getting a new Greenie that day. All of the Gladers gathered around the spot in excitement, waiting for it to come up with their new edition.

The machine made a whirring sound as the gate opened, revealing the cage-like top of the Box. Alex pushed past some of the boys to get to the front so that she could stand next to Gally and stare down at the new guy. He was holding up his hand, shielding his eyes from the bright light after being shut in the dark Box.

Some people chuckled as they pulled open the top, and Gally was the one to jump down. He leaned over the boy who had scooted back, away from him.

"Day one, Greenie. Rise and shine."

There was some chatter and laughter as Gally grabbed him and threw him onto the grass above. He landed on his back and began scrambling away as he stared up at them with fear and confusion in his eyes. Frypan said, "I could use some help in the kitchen."

They all groaned in amusement when the Greenie climbed to his feet and just began running in a random direction, which happened to be toward one of the openings in the Wall.

"Hey, we got a Runner!" Zart yelled as they watched the boy in the blue shirt sprint away. After a couple more seconds, he tripped over his own feet and face planted onto the ground.

Alex winced as the whooping continued and the boy climbed to his feet, spinning around and staring at his surroundings in question. "Not a good start, man."

"He's never gonna live that down," Newt sighed from next to her as they watched him.

She shook her head in response. If there was one thing the Gladers loved, it was making fun of each other, especially if it was for things they did when they first came up. "No, he is not."

"All right, everyone back to work!" Alby ordered, gesturing for them to move along. Then he pointed at two boys in the crowd. "You two, throw the Greenie in the Pit until he calms down. Alex and Gally, you lead the unloading crew like usual."

"Aye, aye, captain!" the girl said, mock saluting him.

He nodded at her in reply as the other boys that weren't apart of the unloading team left and went back to their jobs. As they started the process of taking the crates out, Gally questioned, "So, what do you think of the new Greenie?"