Chapter 43 - The Next Morning

Y/N POV:

Let's just say that it was a bit weird trying to sleep after that. I went back to my room without much ceremony, but I wasn't particularly worried about getting caught at that point.

I couldn't help but start formulating theories about how Maruo found out about us. He barely saw the two of us together here. Could he have inferred from something else? If I'm not mistaken, there was one time Nino accidentally referred to me by my first name while talking to him. I know this is kind of a big deal here in Japan, but inferring that we are in a relationship just because of that is too big of a logical leap, even for my standards.

"The fuck are you doing here?" I whispered.

"What? Aren't you happy to see me?" Nino said.

"Yeah, but like... what was your plan?"

"It would have been much worse if he had found you in my room, don't you think?" I said as I helped her out.

"Oh well, since I'm here I might as well spend the night."

The expression of absolute smug contempt on her face was priceless.

"Fine, but you should probably return before the others wake up. Oh, and by the way, if I hadn't opened the closet, what would you have done?"

"I'd just wait for you to fall asleep then sneak inside the blanket with you. If anything it would be pretty funny to see your reaction if you woke up in the middle of the night."

"Flawless argumentation, but since you're here, I might as well let you in on what happened after the bell tolled."

"Did you get caught by my father?"

"In a way, yes," I said, "But not on the bell."

"Where then?"

"Not where. When."

Nino looked at me quizzically. I turned back to the closet and continued on the search for my pajamas.

"When?" she said.

"Your father knew about us, and for a while from what I could tell."

Just by the silence, I could tell that she was shocked by the information.

"No way. How?"

"Beats me to it. Either your father is the real-life counterpart of Sherlock fucking Holmes, or someone ratted us out."

"No. The only ones who'd know about this would be the girls, and we both know that they wouldn't tell on us like that. Not even Itsuki."

"I agree with you. I doubt any of them would say a thing about our relationship. And even though he knows we're close due to being in the same class, finding me alone at the bell absolutely isn't enough to deduce this whole thing. Ah, there it is."

Nino stayed silent for a few moments. I got the pajamas, double-checked that my door was locked, and began to undress.

"I agree..." she said, "But now that I think of it, there might be one person whom we've neglected who happens to know about us."

"Oh, that motherfucker..." I said.

"Exactly, he even has the incentive to get you out of the picture since he wants to tutor us."

"But he already scored higher than Fuutarou. He already has a chance for a spot. Why would he want to sabotage me too?"

"Maybe he's jealous?" I felt her approaching and wrapping her hands around me, "Intimidated by someone smarter, hotter, and more charismatic?"