Chapter 7 - A Smile Brighter than Fireworks

Y/N POV:

Thus began my hunt for the other sisters. Fuutarou and I agreed to split up to look for them, with him covering the northern part of the festival grounds and I the southern. The fireworks would last for about one hour, with the grandest displays happening in both the first and last 5 minutes.

I was assuming that they were still together, and if that were the case, finding them wouldn't be a hassle at all. Four people with the same distinctive hair color would be easy to distinguish amidst the sea of bystanders.

Or so I thought.

I parted ways with Fuutarou once we arrived at ground level. We would come back to the building in half an hour to check if the other found them. Else, we'd keep searching.

Since they were probably looking for Nino, I was likely to be searching for a moving target which makes things slightly less convenient. Thankfully, a group of five means their mobility is hindered – especially in a crowded environment. I had to seize this advantage and try to cover the festival grounds as quickly and efficiently as possible.

After taking a good look around the plaza, I began to search around the stalls. Ever so often I'd look back to the rooftop to see if someone else had appeared, and on one of those glances, I heard a girl of them calling for me.

"L/N-kun?"

It was distant but distinguishable. While I couldn't recognize her voice, I knew it was probably Itsuki. Other than Nino, she's the only one who refers to me by my last name and with the suffix 'kun'. A quick glance at the nearest food stalls proved my intuition correct. I saw a quint munching at some caramelized apple.

"Itsuki." I approached her.

"How did you realize it was me this quickly? It's not because I'm eating, is it?"

"You were the one wearing the red yukata. Plus there's also your hairpins." I said, "It's a festival. Any of you could be eating."

"Hmpf! I'm glad that at least you aren't as blunt as Uesugi-kun."

Though out of the five, she's probably the one who'd have eating as a high priority - even in this situation.

"Are you with the others?" I asked.

"I'm not. I think we all got separated after the announcement and ever since then, I couldn't find them anymore."

"Ok. Do you want the good news or the bad news?"

She looked at me with hopeful eyes. "Did you find them?"

"No. Thats the bad news. The good is that Nino rented a rooftop for you girls to watch the fireworks. Fuutarou and I are trying to get you guys there."

"Nino did what? How did I not know of that?"

I shouldn't have said that...

"...It was supposed to be a surprise. Sorry to spoil it."

She smiled subtly, adjusting one of her star-shaped hairpins, "It's ok."

"Well, I'll give you the address. I'll search for the rest of them."

"A-actually, can you take me there?"

"Can't you go on your own?"

"I can... It's just that I'm afraid of getting lost. And also I'm a bit directionally challenged..."

This is not ideal, but we still have a relatively large amount of time but I'm not taking thror granted. Though I guess taking her there is better than to risk her getting lost again.