Chapter 14 - The Midterms

Y/N POV:

"Hehe... you look cute when you're sleepy." Nino spoke sweetly.

"How long have you been here?"

"For not nearly as much time as I'd like."

"Good answer. But seriously, how did you get here without me noticing?"

"Ah, c'mon! You're making it sound like you didn't like waking up like this."

"On the contrary... I couldn't think of a better way to wake up." I hugged her a little tighter.

"That's what I wanted to hear."

The morning, though a little foggy, proudly displayed a clear blue sky. There was a lightness in the air that erased all my concerns. Things felt lighthearted... almost utopic. It's like their apartment is a microcosm that is completely absent of any of the boring worldly problems.

Maybe it's the acceptance that they're completely fucked for the midterms, but any worries I had about that disappeared during my sleep. Maybe it was waking up next to Nino that made me feel that way... it wouldn't surprise me at all. I just wish I had been awake for longer so that I could seize the moment.

The clock on the wall read 6:55. Still relatively early... I looked at Nino again, weighing whether or not I should risk staying with her for just a little longer.

"Five more minutes..." I said.

"Okay. Enjoy."

She stood up, leaving me rather confused.

"Where are you going?" I sat up on the couch.

"To bed."

"Then why did you get up?"

"Because I'm going to my bed."

"Wow. Really?"

"Yep. I want to leave you wanting more."

Just as she made her way around the couch, she stopped behind me. I felt both her hands gently grasping my head and lifting my chin so that I would look at her. Her long hair tingled my cheeks as our faces approached. I closed my eyes, and then... nothing.

"Are you expecting something?" She teased.

"Just for you to let go of me so that I can lay down again."

"Well, then I won't take any more of your time then. Sleep tight."

She let go, making her way upstairs and entering her room. That little twat... If that's how she's playing, I'd better up my game as well. But for now, my biggest concern is getting five more minutes of shuteye.

It didn't serve much for resting, as I spent them trying to remember the things we studied on the last day. Now that I think of it, this week has been very intensive. I would almost argue that we're overprepared considering we studied for at least 40 hours in the past seven days. I sincerely hope it's enough.

After my internal clock told me my snoozing time was up, I quickly got out of bed to avoid any further napping temptation. Just imagine how dumb it would be if we arrived late for the exams due to oversleeping?

I got changed and took to set the table for breakfast, afterwards, I sat down to watch the clock's pointers slowly marching toward 8 AM. Thankfully, I soon heard movement upstairs, so I wouldn't have to worry about waking them.

The first one to come downstairs was Yotsuba. Already fully dressed in her uniform and equipped with her whimsically happy expression, as always.

"Good Morning, L/N-san!"