Chapter 9 - Studying Until Nightfall

Y/N POV:

School had ended, and I was on my way to meet Fuutarou so that we could go to the quints. When I found him he was with Itsuki, and apparently, the two were having quite a heated argument. Though I have a few guesses, I didn't know what they were talking about.

But I got there just in time to hear Fuutarou's words.

"You can't do that! If you fail these midterms then it's over for me. It's my job we're talking about! Quit being fussy."

"You're the one being fussy." She replied.

"Don't you want better grades? Then just shut up and listen to me!"

It was evident in his expression that he regretted those words as soon as they left his mouth. Itsuki was paralyzed for an instant.

"N-No, wait... That was-" He stuttered.

Itsuki clenched her fists, looking back at him with anger and profound disappointment.

"I was starting to respect you a little." She said, "It looks like I shouldn't have."

A bit of an overreaction in my opinion. I've lost count of how many times Nino told me to shut up. But I'm guessing this one hit Itsuki differently. She continued:

"Hmpf... so you are just doing it for the money."

And what's wrong with that?

"What's wrong with that?!" He said, "Who would care for a stubborn brat like you if it wasn't for work?"

Dude...

"You don't need to force yourself to teach me. I don't exist just to make money for you."

"Oh, really? Then you can't blame me when you fail the midterms."

Dude!

"Fine by me. Even if it means getting expelled, I'm never having you as a tutor."

"And I'm never teaching you."

"DUDE!"

I couldn't help it. I barged in. Itsuki simply eyed me without saying a word, then proceeded to walk away.

"L/N-kun? How long have you been here?"

"Long enough to see you digging your own grave. Why the fuck would you say that to her?"

"C'mon, you saw how unreasonable she was acting."

"Naw, what I saw was two children acting prideful to work with each other."

"She's blaming me because I'm doing this for money. Why else would I bother with them if it wasn't to pay my bills?"

"Were the things you did for them at the festival also because you wanted money?"

He choked on his own words, so I continued.

"You're wrong to say that you're only in it for the money. And she's wrong in thinking that she's going to pass without our help. But blaming each other is not going to solve this problem."

Fuutarou sighed. I could hear the cogs turning in his head as he weighed whether or not he took the right course of action. Though he didn't show it, I could feel the regret building upon him.

"What do you suggest we do then?"

"First we gotta get her on our good books. Since I doubt either of you would be willing to apologize, I'll try to take care of that part. Get the others and try to get as much work done as possible."