Chapter 11 - Hectic Moments

A/n

Due to the overwhelmingly positive feedback from the last chapter not only is this chapter being released earlier, but it's also on the longer side. Enjoy!

...

Nino's POV:

I've never felt nervous around any boy. Usually, it's the other way around. I can't even count how many times some random guy from my school came to me with a cheesy pick-up line or an awkward confession. Sometimes it's sweet, sometimes it's just annoying. But with Y/N-kun it's something completely different.

I'm the one who becomes a nervous mess while he just stands there in all his handsome smugness. I find myself drawn to him, especially after last night. Just being there with him, hugging him, falling asleep on his shoulder. It all felt magical...

I didn't think I would be able to fall asleep. I didn't want to. I wanted to seize every second of that moment. But before I noticed, I was already having the sweetest dreams.

It was like a snapshot of what a relationship with him could be. It's something I find myself longing for more and more... and I can't help but wonder why I'm mean to him.

This meanness is the sort of reaction I'd have if any other boy (or girl) would just come intruding into our lives. Miku one time said that I was akin to this family's immune system since I'm always lashing out at anyone who I perceive as an invader. It would have been like that if he were anyone else. Just look at Uesugi as an example.

But there's just something about Y/N-kun that just completely throws me for a loop. Maybe that's why when I'm around him my system crashes.

There's a part of me that is very protective of my sisters. So whenever I see them my brain just processes the raw information: 'These two boys are entering our lives without permission. I must get rid of them.'

But the other part, one that had always been restricted to the realm of romantic fiction... keeps yelling: 'Look at him, Nino! Y/N-kun is the rebellious prince charming you've always dreamed of! What are you waiting for?'

I feel like I should apologize, or at the very least decide which part I'm going to listen to. And after last night, I think I know exactly which one I'm going with.

That's why, when I was waking up, I had a faint hope that he had decided to come to my room with me, that I would be sleeping on his embrace... it felt so good to hug him... but I get why he wouldn't do that. I have to be the one who breaks the news to my sister, else Itsuki would just take up my mantle as the defender of the family.

But still, I just hoped that he would be here. I instead woke up hugging one of my plushies, laying alone in my bed. He had even covered me with the blanket. Gosh... boyfriend material at its finest.

Anyway, I had to get up. After all, breakfast isn't gonna make itself. I went through my morning routine and went down to the living room.

He was already up. The only one in the living room from what I could see. Sitting at the dinner table whilst leaning over a few notebooks. From what I could see from the upper steps of the stairs, he had a focused expression, working on some difficult-looking equations.

"Good morning, Y/N-kun," I said.

"Morning, Miku."

That made me stagger backward a little. How can he not tell apart my voice?

"Miku?!" I responded, in a bit of an angry tone.

That's when he looked at me, setting aside his notebook and pencil.