Chapter 5 - Almost Private Session

Y/N POV

On the day after my not-a-date with Nino, I've received good news about Fuutarou's development with Miku. After a bit of a turbulent period, he finally managed to get on her good books. And just as we hypothesized, she is indeed a history nerd. Though for reasons he didn't disclose to me, that information should be kept secret from the other sisters. I see no problem with that.

Things had gone relatively smoothly up until now. With 4 of the sisters willing to attend the sessions, the last one to convince was Itsuki.

Or so I thought.

The problem wasn't getting Itsuki to join us. Well, while she wasn't going to join us this time, she was still going to be studying on her own in the same living room as we were. Out of the quints she appeared to be the most reasonable one, and therefore I never saw her convincing as a challenge. What I wasn't counting on was the other sisters bailing just before the beginning of the session.

When we got to the apartment for the next session, all the sisters were waiting for us in the living room. All except Nino. She was perched on the second floor balcony, watching over me and Fuutarou like we were invaders in her nest, though the look of malice was directed far more to Fuutarou than to me.

"You're here again?" She asked with disdain in her voice, "You're not going to fall asleep again, are you?"

That's because you drugged him. For a brief instant, I saw Fuutarou's expression morphing into anger. But it was only for an instant. Just as suddenly as the rage had appeared, he quickly compartmentalized his emotions, returning Nino's malicious gaze with an innocent smile.

"Nino, why won't you join us?" He asked with as friendly a voice as he could muster.

"Over my dead body."

"Why not? Everyone's here. You're the only one missing."

She began to descend the stairs, though without the slightest intention of joining us. Flashing one wicked smirk at us, she turned to Yotsuba.

"I've just received news that a member of the school's basketball team is one person short. You're pretty athletic, right? Why don't you join them?"

"Wait, right now?" Yotsuba stuttered.

"One of the members broke their leg... they won't be able to practice for the championship. I feel so sorry for them."

"You wouldn't do this, right?" Fuutarou barged in," We have a session right now!"

"I'm sorry, Uesugi-san! I can't abandon people in need!"

The conflict in Yotsuba's expression was quite apparent, but she still bolted out of the apartment without the slightest hesitation. Come to think of it, I probably could have taken that bullet for them, but I didn't react soon enough.

"Hehe... she doesn't know how to say no to things..." Ichika said.

"And you have work at 2 PM, don't you Ichika?"

"Oh shit! I completely missed the hour!" She immediately got up from the couch, rushing to her room.

"And Itsuki, it's probably better to study in a quiet place like a library, right?"

''Hmm... that's a good idea."

She too left the living room. Nino looked at Fuutarou with pure malice. He could no longer hide his frustration after she had gone out of her way to get her other sisters out of the lesson. The only one left was Miku, who thankfully appeared to be there out of her own volition.

I don't know Nino nearly as much as I'd like, but I've already seen some pretty clean-cut characteristics she has. Know your enemy, as Sun Tzu said. I must use the information I know about her to my advantage.