Chapter 10 - Midnight Confessions

Y/N POV:

"What is it?"

Miku nodded toward the kitchen. She most certainly didn't wanted to talk about food, but I went with her regardless.

We arrived there. She got a glass from one of the upper cabinets, putting it under the water filter. Her deep blue eyes stared at me from behind a lock of hair.

"Why didn't it work?" She said.

"Remember when I said you'd be in for a hard time? That's what I meant."

"How am I supposed to be more direct than that? I did exactly what you told me to do and he barely reacted at all. What went wrong?"

"Nothing. Your execution was flawless. The problem is with him."

"What do you mean?"

"Fuutarou isn't just dense. He's also a bit antisocial."

"But you're his friend."

"Our friendship is the product of a happy accident, but that's a story I'll tell you later. What you need to know is that he actively avoids any form of relationship."

Miku turned the tap off, placing the water glass on the counter ahead of her, staying silent for a few moments.

"So should I give up?" She said, her head dropping slightly.

"If I wasn't helping you, maybe. Fortunately, that's not the case."

"I'm none of the things he said he liked. In fact, I'm the polar opposite..."

"He was just describing his sister to get rid of the prompt. Don't take it too seriously."

"But what does he like then?"

"He seemed pretty happy when you answered my question correctly. I guess impressing him academically would be a good start."

"So I need to study more..." She tiredly said.

"Naw, you're good for today. Even I'm tired."

"No, no. It's ok. I... I can do it."

"Are you sure?"

She looked at me with a silent yet stern determination. This was the most confident I had ever seen her, so much in fact that it almost felt like I was looking at Nino.

That feeling gave me a bit of anxiety as I realized that since they're quintuplets, they can pretend to be one another. I don't yet know if that's something they do, but I have to be on guard.

We both got back to the living room. Nino was playing on her phone while laying down on the couch, occupying my seat. She looked at me, then back at the phone screen without moving an inch.

"Do you mind?" I politely asked.

"Yes, I do." She remained still.

If this is her way of teasing me, I must say it pretty trash.

"Ok then. Just watch out for that spider."

"Ha. Ha. I'm not falling for that one."

"It was worth a try." I shrugged, proceeding to walk up to the front of the couch and picking her up in my arms.

"Hey, what are you- Waahh!!"

That's when I gently tossed her to the other couch. She landed like a plume, her face an adorable mix of confusion, embarrassment, and anger as she watched me sit in the exact same position and pose as she was.

She got up, stomping her way back to me, and to my surprise, tried to pick me up.

"Pfft, good luck with that," I said as I reached for my notebook on the center desk.