Chapter 18 - Momentary Break

Y/N POV:

All's well that ends well. This week has been taxing on all of us, both intellectually and emotionally, so even though I'm sad that I won't get to share an apartment with Nino anymore, I'm glad that this odyssey has finally come to an end.

I took this weekend to slow down and get back into my routine. When Monday came, I was feeling a little more refreshed, though I hadn't been awake for even an hour before a new challenge manifested.

I received an email shortly before my classes began, and without even looking at the address, I had a pretty good idea of who the sender may be.

"Good morning, L/N-san. My name is Maruo Nakano, and I'd like to discuss the possibility of you becoming a tutor for my daughters. The payment is 25000 yen per session. Please return this message if you're interested and I'll set aside some time for an interview at my earliest convenience."

Good. Very good. This opportunity isn't coming as a surprise, but the money certainly is. I'll be getting paid as much as Fuutarou, and even though we're probably going to have only one or two sessions a week until our finals, I'll still be making a pretty good amount on the side.

I replied to the email, telling him that I was free at pretty much anytime. Later on that very day I got a call from the man himself as I was returning home from school. I let the phone rang twice as I psychologically prepared myself.

"Hello?"

"This must be L/N-kun. Good afternoon. This is Maruo Nakano speaking."

"Ah, Nakano-san. I take this is about the tutoring job, right?"

"Yes. Are you free to speak right now?"

"Yep."

"Excellent. I'm sure you're a busy man much like myself, so I wish to keep this conversation objective." He took a brief pause, "Your return means that you are interested in the opportunity I offered you, and if my daughters believe your guidance along with Uesugi-kun's is making a difference, I am more than willing to employ you as their tutor as well. However, there is a condition."

"I'm listening."

"Do you know the reason why I employed Uesugi-kun instead of a dedicated professional?"

"It's because he's number one in our school, right?"

"Indeed, among one other reason. I see that you've recently become the second-highest-ranking student in your year, correct? Just ahead of a certain Takeda-kun."

That shitass...

"Yes. Studying with your daughters helped me achieve this position."

"The condition of your employment is that you maintain this ranking. Note that Takeda has asked for this opportunity shortly after your reply. Seeing that you're ahead of him, I'll be giving preference to you. But this position is going to the second-best student in the academy, regardless of who it may be."

"I understand. Rest assured that I will not fall from this position."

"My daughters seem to trust you and Uesugi-kun. I hope their trust is not misplaced." My man's pretty good at intimidating, I'll give him that. "On that note, I hope that you are capable in a respectful, gentlemanly manner around my daughters. If I hear from any of them that you've acted indecently, you will be fired without question. Am I clear?"

"Of course."

"Good. Then, you may start accompanying them and Uesugi-kun. As soon as you send me the details from your bank account, I'll start depositing your payment after every session."