CHAPTER 9 - RISK TAKER

Hermione told Ginny what she discovered. She told her the whole story about her friendship with Kraven Russel, and like her, Ginny also felt shocked, yet happy, because after how many years of their parting and not knowing they were in the same place--they still met--in Hogwarts.

Hermione was walking down the stairway. She was going to the Pitch to watch the Gryffindor Quidditch team's tryouts.

When she was about to climb down the stairway, someone called her. She halted and turned around to knew who was calling.  

"What is it, Kraven?"she asked when she saw Kraven at the top of the stair.

Kraven walked towards her.

"Nothing... just remind you to watch your step,"Kraven said smirking.  

"Thank you,"she muttered. And she turned to continue climbing down--but when she stepped her feet--she missed again. Fortunately, Kraven was almost at her side. He grabbed her arms quickly.

"Oi.. Careful,"Kraven said.

Hermione grasp into Kraven's arm. She nearly fell down again. Kraven laughed at her.

"See... how can I not call you Ms. Careless, if you always like this."

"Shut up, it's your presence that makes me careless... and I really don't know why?"snapped Hermione and she let go of Kraven.

"Blaming me again eh?"smirked Kraven.

Hermione grinned and she continued climbing down.

"Where are you going?"he asked.

"In the pitch. Ginny is having a try outs for her Gryffindor Quidditch team."Hermione answered and Kraven followed her.

While walking going to the pitch, Kraven tried to annoy Hermione, but Hermione fought back and she just laughed, because she knew that Kraven was only provoking her for his own happiness.

When they reached the pitch. They seated in the audience ramp and watched Ginny's trying out the new members.

"Your friend, Ginny is quite good at Quidditch. I watched her for ages,"Kraven said looking at Ginny in the pitch.

"Yeah.. She's not only quiet good, she's amazing,"Hermione said, smiling.

When Ginny saw them, Hermione waved towards her. Ginny waved back. 

After sorting of new members of the Gryffindor Quidditch team--everybody went back to the castle.

"How's your new team, Ginny?"asked Hermione when they were sitting at the Gryffindor table and eating their lunch.

"They are good Hermione, I'm satisfied with their performance,"answered Ginny. 

"Did you make it Dean? Are you one of the chaser?"asked Hermione to Dean who was busy eating.

"Oh yes, Hermione,"answered Dean.

"Good for you. Congrats," Hermione said.

When they were finished eating, they went to their dormitory. The common room was crowded, it was Saturday and no class. Ginny and Dean had been held up by the new Member of the Quidditch team in the common room and they talked about the technique they could use to be able to win in the incoming match. Hermione went straight to their room and do her homework. 

And later on, when she was done; she decided to read books--along the Lake. She kept her things in her school bag and went out in the room, carrying her books. She saw Ginny in the common room--she was still talking to her members. She passed on and went out.  

When Hermione was already in the lake; She seated on the bench, facing the lake. She opened her book and started reading.

After an hour of reading, she noticed that someone seated at her side, she stopped and looked to know who's with her.

"Kraven... what are you doing here?"

"Did I disturb you?"Kraven asked back.

"No. What's that?"Hermione said when she noticed that Kraven was holding a wooden box.

"This one?.. It's a wizard chess, you know how to play this?"asked Kraven while putting the box in between them.  

"A bit.. Ron taught me. He was good at that,"Hermione said.

"Ron Weasley, is he?"asked Kraven while arranging the chess.  

"Yeah.. He is. He played Wizard Chess very well. He earned 50points for Gryffindor when he defeated Prof. McGonagall giant Chess--way back on our 1st year...He is amazing, even Harry cannot defeat him,"Hermione said, grinning. "I only know the theory of the game, but I don't know how to win. But, Ron.. He doesn't know the theory but he knows how to win."

"Sounds of a proud girlfriend, are you?"asked Kraven.

Hermione blushed and grinned at him.

"Yeah.. I am,"she answered honestly.

"Let's have a game,"Kraven said quickly when he felt jealousy.

"I'm telling you Kraven.. I'm not good,"Hermione said laughing--looking at the Chess board.

"Let's see."smirked Kraven.

They started playing--and as expected Hermione did not win. Kraven bullied her. He was bullying Hermione intentionally, but Hermione just laughed. 

Hours passed, Hermione and Kraven had a good laughed playing the Wizard Chess.

"You're a good player too, Kraven.. You're a right challenger for Ron, I think,"Hermione said, half laughing.

"Do you think I have a match with him?"Kraven smirked.

"Of course!"Hermione answered.

Kraven just laughed.

"He is Ron Weasley. Harry Potter's best friend--a hero. He helped Potter in defeating you-know-who. Do you think I still have a match for him? If he's not only a wizard chess master?"said Kraven who sounds bitter.

Hermione caught his eyes.

"Everybody has a chance to win Kraven, as long as you're trying. In life.. Challenges occur anytime, anywhere.. And it's for you to win. You need to fight back and take the challenge; Don't be afraid of losing. Don't be afraid of taking the risk... if you lost.. Accept it.. If you win, then... you can say to yourself... you are a winner. Life is about losing and winning... but as long as you are still breathing, losing is not a big deal, because you still have the chance to win. There's no harm in being a risk taker,"Hermione said seriously looking at him.  

Kraven felt stunned when Hermione suddenly smiled at him. He blushed--luckily Hermione took her eyes away, she did not see Kraven's red face. Hermione stood up and stretched her body. When she's done stretching, she looked at Kraven.

"I'm hungry," Hermione said.

"Me too... we forget the time. We better go back to the castle, it's going to be dark in a moment,"Kraven said, looking at the setting sun on the far end of the lake.