MIK 40

40: The Truth

An elderly woman opened the door to the two men who were waiting in anticipation and confusion. The woman looked at Jisung in perplexity, but immediately it got replaced by an excited expression when she noticed the familiar looking young man.

"Oh, Seungmin dear! What a surprise!" Seungmin smiled as he welcomed the woman's warmth, sighing with a smile. They broke the hug and looked at Jisung who was standing there very much confused.

"Aunty, this is Jisung." The woman looked at Jisung with an emotion that Jisung doesn't know how to word it. His heart was beating fast in anticipation.

"Oh dear, finally I got to see you! Seungmin have always mentioned about you." Then suddenly the woman hit her head, "Silly me, I didn't invite you guys in. Come, come, let's get in." Jisung nodded, awkwardly, as he and Seungmin entered the house, closing the door behind.

"Sit here, let me make some tea." Seungmin shook his head.

"There is no need, Aunty."

"Shush, it's his first time here. It's not good to leave the guest without giving them something." She smiled, walking to the kitchen, leaving the men alone.

"Did sir marry again?" Seungmin looked at Jisung startled and suddenly started laughing, shaking his head.

"What? No! That's his sister, Mrs. Aokbab." Jisung let out a sound in acknowledgement. They both looked up when Mrs.Aokbab walked towards them.

"Brother said he wants to see you both." Seungmin and Jisung looked at eachother then at the woman, nodding their head making Aokbab smile as she left to kitchen.

Seungmin showed Jisung the way to their teacher's room and there they saw him, Mr.Songsit, lying on the bed like an unmoving doll. There was a urostomy pouch attached to the bed. Jisung looked at Seungmin in shock.

"He has paraplegia."

"Hey, kids." Both of them looked at their teacher who is now glancing at them with a smile. Must have woken up after hearing Seungmin's voice. "Is that Jisung?" Seungmin nodded, making the man look at Jisung, with wavering hands he signalled them to sit. "Come sit here, kids."

Both of them sat on chairs near the bed, wai-ing at the teacher.

"How are you, Seungmin?"

"Fine, Sir." Seungmin smiled. Mr.Songsit then glanced at Jisung who looked at him with sadness.

I don't deserve your sadness, kid. He thought, eyes watering, heart tightening at the thoughts that he has done in the past.

"You've changed a lot, Jisung. How are you? What are you doing now?"

"I'm doing well, Sir." Jisung smiled, blinking back the tears that were threatening to fall down. Seeing his teacher in this shape hit him hard." I'm a…" Jisung paused, contemplating his profession. "I'm a veterinarian."

"Ah, I remember you saying that you dreamt about becoming a vet." Mr.Songsit nodded,

"I'm happy for you." Everyone stayed quiet as the atmosphere drastically changed into something that gave chills to Jisung.

"Jisung…" Jisung glanced at the teacher, " I'm sorry for everything."

"Sir, what are you saying? Sorry for what?" Mr.Songsit sighed as he glanced at Seungmin, silently asking whether he should confess, for which Seungmin nodded a yes. Jisung looked at their interaction with anticipation.

"Jisung, there is something that I've done to you that as a teacher, I shouldn't have." Jisung frowned in confusion and Mr.Songsit took Jisung's confusion as his que to confess.