Chapter 24: A Butterfly Haunting

Right before he left the doorway, he turned around and said, "Potter." With that, Draco left the room with the mental image of Harry's scribble notes in his mind. 

~~~

Harry Potter was losing his mind; which wasn't surprising seeing as that seemed to be the trend at Hogwarts. 

He furiously wrote incoherent and messy ramblings on spare pieces of parchment... and he was in the zone. Or, at least he was, until Draco showed up asking stupid questions and being nosy. 

Once he got the bother out of the room, he went back to his pages of notes. 

Most were terribly done sketches of his dreams (which somehow have gotten even worse) and unformatted bullet point notes about the meanings. 

His current theory: he was being haunted by a giant butterfly for reasons unknown.

How silly, how absolutely bonkers, that seemed. A butterfly, terrorizing him at all hours of the day. He looks in the mirror after taking a shower? A steam drawn butterfly in his reflection. Walking the open halls of Hogwarts? A trail of butterflies fly right in his face (he screamed, causing all students in a ten foot radius to laugh their heads off-- oh look, Professor Potter, The Boy Who Lived, Defeater of Voldemort, scared of butterflies). 

He was losing his mind; and he knew it.

His most pressing and recent dream featured him alone in a dark room. Similar, Harry thought, to the banquet hall that the Death Eaters used to convene in. Perhaps it was the same room, just without tables and chairs and windows and life. 

Harry took a deep breath as he continued to write out the occurrences in the dream, until he got interrupted yet again-- this time by Ron and Hermione.

He didn't even hear them come in. He didn't feel them peering over his desk and shoulder to see his papers. He only noticed when the parchment was ripped out from under his quill by Hermione.

Ron stared bug eyed at it. "Bloody hell mate! What the shit?" Harry stared in confusion.

"Huh?"

Hermione turned the parchment so the text faced him. All over it, was the word Percy, written over and over. They were written in all caps, in undercase, on top of one another, upside down, sideways. It was a mess.

It was just one word: Percy. 

Harry blinked. Once, twice, three times. He could have sworn he was writing out his dream. The butterfly, the dark room, the cold air...

"Harry," Hermione stated quietly. "This... I don't even know what it is, but we'll get through it, alright? It's been days since we've talked, since the stone. What's going on?"

"I'm being haunted by a giant butterfly."

Ron snorted. "A butterfly? What in the- ow!" Hermione lowered her hand, as Ron rubbed the back of his head. "IT hurts when you do that, you know."

"I know."

Hermione stared in utter loss at Harry. He was being haunted... by a butterfly; as well as having a newfound hallucinogenic obsession with Percy. Maybe Percy was right, when he said crazy follows Harry around like a lost puppy. 

~

"Trust me, I know crazy," Percy said, as he kicked his legs back and forth on the floor of their tent.

"Harry's not crazy," Hermione said. She looked around their tent. Here they were, sitting in the middle of nowhere, in the woods, while Ron and Harry were off who knows where.