Chapter 22: Water

Being sick is not a bad thing. It gives me an excuse to ignore all my school work and write. 

~~~

"Samantha," Percy said. "She took the resurrection stone."

"The twelve year old Hufflepuff?" Annabeth said, doubt in her voice.

"Yes!"

-

Annabeth sat in the library, trying to find as much as she could on Psyche, so she could fix Percy. 

"Maybe it can't be fixed," Hazel said from next to her. Annabeth stared at the ghost of her deceased friend. "Just let things be. It'll be easier that way."

She blinked again, and Hazel was gone. 

~~~

Annabeth wasn't entirely sure how to process what just happened. 

Maybe Percy wasn't crazy after all... or maybe she was just as insane. 

Or maybe- maybe, Psyche knew Annabeth was onto her and wanted to derail her as much as she could.

Yes! Yes, that had to be it. Otherwise, what other reason could there be for Annabeth to start seeing ghosts now too? Yes. Psyche was messing with Annabeth, and has now provided further proof that the goddess was messing with Percy as well. 

The more Annabeth thought about it, the more plausible it became. In fact, all of their mishaps over the past year... that was probably Psyche too! 

Annabeth's missing dagger... Psyche took it! She wanted to make Annabeth doubt herself and what better way to do that than to take her favorite weapon against monsters?

Yes- Annabeth was onto something. Psyche could have been the woman Voldemort referred to as the one who wanted Percy last year. They thought it was Gaia... but what better way to trick the demigods than to hide in plain sight! 

Annabeth smiled. Psyche wasn't as smart as the daughter of Athena. Her plan was stupid. Annabeth figured it out already, and the school year wasn't even half over. 

Yes. Psyche was stupid. Stupid at planning... stupid for thinking she could outsmart Annabeth... stupid. 

~~~

Maybe Annabeth was the stupid one. 

After her earlier revelation, she spent the next few hours walking around the perimeter of Hogwarts solidifying her hypothesis. 

She didn't get very far in doing so. 

For once in her life, Annabeth wished for a prophecy. Just something to give her a lead, something to go off of... just something to guide her in this whole stupid ass mess. 

But alas; the Oracle was out of commission, the Gods were unreachable, their friends AWOL, and the last thing she wanted to do was add another burden to Chiron's shoulders. 

But Gods, she wished she could just talk to Chiron about everything and have him solve-

Annabeth froze. The Daughter of Athena, doubting her abilities so much so that she can't see the bigger picture and solve everything? She was backing down from a challenge?

It's like everything in her brain was jumbled. She couldn't come up with a logical plan on this. Everything Annabeth ever knew... it was like she was just... not. 

Annabeth knew there was something she was missing. Something she wasn't connecting. But for the life of her she just didn't know what

It was like her one demigodly strength was gone. Her brilliant mind powers dampened.