Chapter 25: Late night talks

It is nighttime, and I am lying down on my bed in Minnesota. I can tell because of the shape of the room, the posters lined on my walls and the particular smell of forest leaves that this can't be in LA or in any hotel room of sort. Yes, I'm definitely in Minnesota. Knowing this, I feel comfortable and safe, so there is no problem to stand up from my rest and move around the house.

But it's empty. There isn't anyone around, and for some reason that intrigues me... like there is something off. I can't help but fear every turn I give, every new corner in the end of the hallway, every hint that something might move or trigger anything. I make my way down the stairs and to the backyard. I don't know what I'm looking for; all I know is that I don't want to be in the house on my own. I step outside to the yard and it's all covered in white snow. In fact, it is snowing at the moment. I see the snowflakes touch my skin and melt, but I don't feel any cold. There isn't even a breeze of wind. Everything about this place seems wrong, despite it being my own home.

It's like home but at the same time it isn't.

It's me but at the same time I'm not.

I cradled myself in my arms, because even though I didn't feel cold, I still shivered. It was the loneliness and eeriness of the place. It was the thought of emptiness inside me. It was the fact that I was alone, oh so alone, that made my skin crawl and fear ran down my spine.

-"... My happy little pill... take me away..."

Immediately I looked towards the forest in front of me, beyond the wooden fence of my backyard. I would recognize that voice and that song, anytime, anywhere.

-"... Dry my eyes... bring color to my skies..."

That was my song, and the singer was my Troye. He was somewhere in the forest, probably in great danger. I have to find him.

-"Troye...?"—I asked towards the nothingness, as I started running in the direction of the happy pill—"Troye!"

I didn't mind the figs breaking under my feet or the strange noises from the forest. I just kept running deeper and deeper into the unknown, because I knew that I had to find my friend. I couldn't leave him in the open like this. I needed to find him and take him to safety, and I needed to tell him that I was sorry.

-"... Take my hunger..."

Left. Right. Right. Left. Right again. I didn't know where I was going; but it didn't matter. Somehow I knew I was getting close.

-"... Light within..."

He was getting closer. I could almost bet on it. I can't stop running. I'm so close. I have to apologize.

-"... Numb my skin."

Silence.

I stood in the forest, surrounded by tall pine trees. The snow was still falling around me. I felt like the entire world was spinning, and I kept looking around, trying to find something, anything desperately. But most of anything I wanted to see Troye again.

-"Hello!?"

No response.

-"... Troye!? Troye are you here!? It's me, Connor!"

Dead quiet.

-"... Troye...? ... Troye I wanted to say I'm sorry..."

I was almost certain nobody would answer again. And then, it began.

Whispers.

Coming from every direction possible, all around me, above me, and underground... hundreds over hundreds of voices that whispered in chaos and daze. I couldn't tell all of what they were saying, but I did manage to catch a couple things. "He's the one with the pills", "he's the one in the closet", "he's the one with the scars", "he's the one who keeps lying to everyone..."