Chapter 15: The panic

Imagine a place with me; somewhere in between the last time you were genuinely happy and the first time you were very, very sad. You got it? I know it sounds kind of tough work, but bear with me. Now take that place in time and add it a picture, let's say it's a painting. Think of all the light in the world, shining down on you and your surroundings. Wherever there is light, there's ought to be shadow, ain't it? Buildings, many buildings of stone and marble glistening with reds, oranges, greens and yellows, mimicking all the flowers from the prairie. The shadows the light casts over these buildings draws images on the streets, by my feet, where I walk, and were the other do, too. You can hear the waves crashing against the shore from afar, you can smell the sea breeze flying through the air. You can't help but wonder at all around you.

And to feel that you don't belong in the painting.

Out of time, and out of place. You being here ruins the image, the colors, the light, the shadow and even the waves. That's how I feel.

The name of the place is Vernazza. It's the second day of our trip, and we've come to this town by train from Spezia. Yesterday we didn't do much, but we did get to explore Genève. Yes, you should have heard that before. They say Cristopher Columbus—the Cristopher Columbus—was from this port city. It's astounding, every corner seems to be crowded with new things and places to explore. Louis was right about this, this road trip will provide me with all the best pictures I could even dream of.

-"Connor?"—asked Troye, who had stayed behind waiting for me.

I hadn't noticed that I was staring at the alleyway, but the rest of the crew had already walked over to the next stop, and I was here all alone. It wasn't even logical because I had already taken the picture I wanted of this place. Troye of course had stayed behind for me, like he always does.

-"I'm sorry Troye."—I apologized—"I zoned out."

-"It's alright... it's beautiful, isn't it?"

-"... Yes. Yes it is."

We started to walk towards the others, wondering if maybe they'd already reached the watchtower Joe had mentioned. He found an ad somewhere where they said that it was rather close, and that all of town could be seen from the top. We walked towards the place, but I couldn't help but notice that Troye seemed a bit uneasy.

-"... Troye?"—I asked—"What is it?"

-"Hmph? Nothing."

-"Nothing my ass, Troye boy."—I said—"There is something bothering you..."

-"... I wanted to ask if you're not mad?"

I stopped walking, confused.

-"Mad? Why would I be mad?"

-"Because of the sitting arrangements... in the cars, I mean..."

-"I don't... get it..."

The arrangements had been at random, and whatever was the case I didn't care. All of these people were my friends. Besides I was in the same car as Troye, who sat in the back seat with me, Louis who was our designated driver, and Alfie who would serve as our navigator. Why would that bother me?

Unless...

-"You don't say... you asked Louis for us to be in the same car, didn't you?"—I asked, a bit confused.

-"... Yes I did..."

I sighed. Of course it did not bother me. I know he does this because he wants to help me, and I want to help him in return. Too bad there's not much I can do.

-"I'm not mad, Troye..."

-"Really?"

-"Yes, really."