Day 43.1

Batman scanned the building from the outside, his thermal showing no movement and neither did sonar. He jumped out of the batmobile and grappled on to the roof of the building and entering through a broken window.

The warehouse he was in had two floors, the upper floor having a sort of packing room and offices, while the ground floor was mostly open with walkways on each side and metal beams spanning the ceiling.

He search much of the top floor but he already knew Black mask and Riddler were long gone. But they definitely left some cryptic message for him to find. Always. Always. Always.

He finally decided to go to the ground and once he saw the laptop and large monitor waiting, wrapped himself in his cape and stopped in front of it. Sure enough, the screen came on by itself, a green embossed question mark as the background.

Riddler: Hello Bats.

Batman: Nygma.

Riddler: It's been a while but you can't even manage a hello?

Batman: For you? *Turns around to walk away* None.

Riddler: Aww. Don't be like that.* Batman didn't stop* Where are you going? Wait. Come back here.

Batman: Why? I'm not in the mood for a chit chat.

Riddler: Are you ever?

Batman looked over his shoulder at Riddler then stopped.

Batman: How many times have we done this? How many times have we been here, you planning some elaborate scheme to prove over and over again how clever you are.

Riddler: And yet I haven't because you've outsmarted me every time, well most of the time anyway.

Batman: And you try again and again.

Riddler: Major perk of insanity, this is the norm for me. And don't be a hypocrite, batman. You enjoy it as much as I do.

Batman: No, I'm tired, Riddler.

Riddler: Then do it. Break your one rule.*Batman responded with silence and when he turned to leave, Riddler chuckled.* I see. So I'm still not worthy. Even with Joker gone I'm still number two.

Batman: And always will be.

Riddler: Hahaha. Guess you found a replacement already.

Batman whirled around to Riddler with a frown and Riddler chuckled some more.

Riddler: I thought you'd have noticed by now. *He tipped his hat* I run behind you, ever so close. Our bond too tight, makes hateful ghosts, too loose, destroys wishes and hopes. What am I?

Batman: Protege. *Riddler's grin grew when Batman realized what he meant.* Ridiculous.

Riddler: The truth I hide ease many, comforting I seem. The way to destruction I-

Batman: I'm not in denial, Nygma. They aren't alike.

Riddler: Well the student has to surpass the master at some point. He embodies the Joker's ideology, no?

Batman: Wrong. Y/n isn't insane. Though he's on the wrong path, he's more a soldier than a lunatic. He has reasonable goals, unlike you, who is guided by his self inflated ego and pettiness.

Riddler: For now, yes. But-

Batman: Why are we having this conversation? What do you really want? Or are you a lapdog simply following your masters orders.

Riddler: Cheap shot. *Something landed on the walk way and batman glanced at it* oh, they're here.

The assassin tilted it's head in a creepy way and two more dropped next to it. Then some more began dropping until they had surrounded Batman.