Chapter 49- A dark truth

The remainder of the ride was undisturbed by the strange creature, and the tunnel grew lighter and lighter as you reached the end after smacking away the ink from the paddlewheel a couple more times. All was calm again, as it had been before that disaster.

The rim of the tunnel cut off, and the river opened up into a huge cave; a lot bigger than the one you dreamt of with the slipway. It brought a look of wonder to your face, as though all of this was being gazed upon by someone purely human for the first time.

"Ah, the lost village." Sammy spoke with a content tone in his voice. You were about to ask what that even meant, but you were cut off as you scanned your eyes over everything up ahead. Tall, wooden buildings were built all around the expanse. They weren't all wood however, with some parts being made up out of scraps found around the studio. The structures looked much like human houses, with windows and doors decorating each one in a slightly different way from one another.

These windows were lit up from the inside, as though there were people in them, yet it was hard to imagine anyone inside having a moment of solace with a loved one when they were ripped from those people long ago. If you were to pass all of these buildings, you would come up to an area boarded shut, quite like the ink machine was when you had turned it on. Above this boarded up area, there was a sign that read,

'Not monsters.'

It was a little unsettling, but the sight of land made you unbelievably happy, and your curiosity lifted higher with every passing second that you were confined in the boat.

The watercraft came up to the dock, slowly coming to a halt as Sammy turned off the engine and allowed it to drift into place by the shore. It wasn't until then that you looked back to the tunnel, a slight worry building up within you. Hopefully Allison and Tom were okay in there, without the plague of that creature to reign down over them.

"I guess we should wait for the others to come out of there." Sammy suggested, letting you walk past him and exit the boat with your pipe. The very moment your feet hit the wood of the marina, your body relaxed. "We probably should, although I'm worried they'll be attacked by that thing we saw."

"I doubt it'll cause them any trouble." The prophet countered, waving his hand dismissively at the dark tunnel and stepping out of the vessel after you. His axe was stained with ink, but the shiny end of the blade still appeared razor sharp as he clenched it in his fist. It didn't seem to have taken any kind of beating from the conflict that had just occurred.

"Tom's a fighter. He wouldn't go down that easily."

Just as he finished his sentence, the echo of an alternate boat's engine sounded from the dark abyss of the river. Allison and Tom quickly came into view, and they didn't look to have encountered anything out of the ordinary during their experience.

You and Sammy looked over at them, waiting for their boat to come over to the shore. Within a few minutes, they had also stopped their boat, and hopped out to meet up with you and the musician.

"You two alright?" You asked, your eyebrows narrowed with concern.

"Yes. We were fine." Allison replied, placing a hand on her hip as she stopped in front of you with Tom at her side. "I honestly expected something to lash out at us, but there was nothing." The wolf beside her nodded in agreement.

Sammy grinned at that, swinging his axe up over his shoulder. "Oh, don't worry. I fixed that problem. That thing shouldn't be bothering anyone any time soon."

You looked over at him with an amused smile, watching him briefly bask in his accomplishment. It was pretty nice to see the prophet so collected, and he had been that way recently. I guess it was Bendy that made him lose his calm. He seemed to have all of his sanity restored at the moment.