Chapter 35- Change of plans

There was a distressing aura around level 9, and it roared like a burning inferno, only growing bigger and bigger as anticipations turned to disappointment.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T FIND THEM!?"

A roaring voice screeched, rattling the wooden boards many levels above you and Bendy with the amount of anger in it's tone. The angel stomped back and forth in her heels, her fingers curled into claws and about ready to strangle the searcher plopped nervously a few feet away.

The searcher gurgled something with a shrill stutter, instantly lowering it's head as Alice glared in it's direction.

"You incompetent...useless little slug..." She hissed. "I find it very hard to believe that you couldn't at least find the INK DEMON, of all things!"

The searcher quickly turned its head back and forth, pulling out a scrap of paper from the notebook in its hands. Taking the scrap, it began frantically writing something with it's finger, the ink it was made up of running down to the floor in a much runnier state.

Alice let out a small huff, but waited for the inkling to finish writing what she assumed was either some stupid excuse, or a series of wobbly pleads for mercy. It finished after a moment and she took the paper from it with a small growl, causing it to flinch back into its corner of the room with a shriek. The woman scanned over the words written, her brow lifting skeptically by the time she reached the end of the small paragraph.

"How is this possible?" She asked it with a deadpan tone of voice, getting a small shrug in response from the terrified searcher.

She sighed impatiently, pinching the bride of her nose with her other arm resting on her hip, the note slightly crinkling as she tightened her grip on it.

"You mean to tell me that NONE of those searchers actually made it back once they found them!?"

Hesitantly, the creature nodded, quickly giving a vague demonstration of what had happened by dragging a finger across its neck and closing its little white eyes, its head flopping to the side dramatically.

"Ugh...I should have known the ink demon would kill them before they had a chance to come back." Alice furrowed her eyebrows. She was hoping that the Ink Demon wouldn't realize that the searchers were her own, but I guess that was a complete waste of time.

Could she possibly bombard him with searchers? Give him so much to worry about that he couldn't kill them all at once?

She returned her attention to the searcher, and it slightly flinched at the realization that she was looking at it again.

"Alright, new plan..." Alice growled. "Send all of the searchers down there at once. Keep a few of them in hiding so that they can observe the location while the fight is going on, and send them back up later."

One way or another, she was getting what she wanted. That girl was the one thing she needed to get at the ink demon, and permanently pull him from his throne and take control over the studio herself. How nice it will be, to have the demon at her feet, pleading for a chance to keep his life for at least another few moments.

"I will make him pay." The angel sneered under her breath as the searcher retreated into the floorboards with the new instructions.

"He will never have the spotlight again! I will not allow my place to be stolen any longer!"

Every word that left her mouth came out more and more aggressive, and she found herself pounding on a desk sat up against the wall, clawing at the wood and leaving faint black marks across its surface.

She huffed with irritation and pulled her hands away from the table, straightening a strand of her disheveled, black hair. Her emotions had been spiking out of control lately, and she had to admit that it had been keeping her quite distracted from her "work" with trying to mend herself back together. A mere nuisance...That's all it was...

At least that's what she assured herself. It was only temporary. All of this was temporary, and one day she would be beautiful again. That thought was all the hope she had left.

'If this next ambush doesn't work, I'll come up with another plan...I won't stop until I figure out where they are, and rip everything away from that demon! I wanted to be loved too, but he had to take it all for himself!'

"Not anymore...Not anymore...Soon I will have what I want." She murmured aloud, closing her eyes and taking in a moment of silence to calm herself. The scene around her did not give a care in the world. It was only wood and empty space...Nothing about it was sentient, and none of it had feelings or a personality that she could get to know.

Sometimes it felt lonely, the "sometimes" being because it was rare for her to ever let the fact sink in. The angel always tried to forget about that part of living down here. That's why the beauty mattered...right? No one wanted to talk to a monster.

"What the hell am i thinking! I don't care about socializing!" She suddenly snapped to herself, a brooding tone being expressed as she scolded herself for thinking such things.

"Get rid of Ben- I mean the ink demon...Get rid of the ink demon, and take over the studio. THAT was the plan." Yes...That sounded much better. Who was she to care about being a little lonely? The angel was sure that she would have gotten over it by now, but alas, it looked like she needed yet another many years.

Before Alice became any more sappy about all of this petty nonsense, she left the room to attend to her duties. Time isn't a problem, but she felt she was being unproductive, and sought to change that while the searchers continued to try and get her some leeway in this conflict with the ink demon.

She glanced down and realized that she had still been clenching onto the paper the searcher had used to write on. Turning it over in her hands while she walked, her legs came to a stop as her eyes widened slightly.

On the back of the paper was a small, blotchy drawing. It looked like the one who drew it must have been much smaller than an average inkling. It was a simple doodle of three searchers, the one in the middle being much smaller than the other two, and holding hands with each of them.

That searcher must have given her this page by accident, not realizing that someone had drawn on the back.

It couldn't have been a child! There's no way that these creatures were attempting a normal life down here, after all that's happened! Yet, it did look like something only a child would draw.

"Get your head out of the clouds Alice." The woman growled, crumpling the scrap of paper in her hand and letting it fall to the floor. Her expression had faded back into a look of anger and determination, and all feeling of sorrow had melted away.

But deep in her heart, there was a small urge to return the paper back to the searcher, but she drowned out that feeling and walked off, the dim lights pulling her into a silhouette of darkness.