Chapter 18- Pessimistic Prophets

"Holy shit, (y/n) calm down!"

Bendy grabbed onto your shoulders and turned you to face him, completely disregarding the ink-covered man that turned the corner.

"Who the hell is that?!" You screeched, gripping onto his arm and moving closer to him.

The human-like figure gave you a small wave, obviously trying to stay calm after having you react like you did. The demon turned his head towards the unknown figure. "What the hell Lawrence!"

The man backed up, holding his hands up in a defensive position. It was almost like he assumed the demon would attack him on the spot without question.

"M-My apologies M'Lord! I didn't mean to intrude!"

Your eyes were glued to the man. He seemed to notice your staring and nervously frowned at the two of you.

Wait...

"M'Lord?" You questioned, glancing up at Bendy. The demon was still very clearly pissed with the way the man had presented himself to you. The toon sighed heavily upon hearing your confusion.

"For some odd reason this buffoon treats me like a god. He refers to me as his "lord"." He responded quietly, and you nodded as your attention focused back on the ink-covered man once more.

"May I ask who the girl is?" The prophet asked suddenly, his nervousness slowly fading away.

Bendy frowned, holding onto you tighter than before. You didn't really mind it. It was kinda cute to see the amount of effort he put into keeping you out of the shorter man's reach. The prophet didn't look like he would ever attempt to harm you with the ink demon right there, but it was still the thought that counted.

"(Y/n), meet Sammy Lawrence. Sammy, meet (y/n)."

The demon uttered with an slightly irritated tone, using his hand to gesture to each of you when he said your names.

The man, apparently named Sammy, turned to you with a curious expression on his face, although it was hidden by the mask. "I didn't intend on scaring you (y/n). I sincerely apologize."

Your heart had stopped racing, returning to its normal pace and calming your nerves.

This man came out of nowhere and was suddenly being friendly to you...You found it slightly off-putting. Was he only trying to be nice because Bendy was here? Thinking about that made you wonder if he would ever hurt you the first chance he got. If the demon was his "savior", or whatever he called him, of course Sammy would show respect when he was around.

"Nice to meet you Sammy, and you don't need to apologize."

You spoke after a moment, catching him by slight surprise. He wasn't really expecting you to want to talk to him. The man opened his mouth to reply, but the ink demon interrupted the man before he was able to speak again.

"Why are you up here? Aren't you supposed to be kneeling in front of a cutout or something?"

You snickered at the way he spoke to the prophet. Was that really how Sammy normally spent his time?

"Well...I was on my way to the music department, and I heard something up here. Apparently it must have been (y/n)." Sammy answered, moving his hands up to adjust the mask he wore over his face.

"It's always pleasant seeing you though." He added with a small smile, looking up at Bendy with admiration.

"Aww..." You said adoringly, noticing the toon's growing frown as he became more annoyed.

"What the fuck (y/n)?" Bendy growled, turning his head to the prophet looking up at him once more. "Quite the charmer aren't ya?" He snipped sarcastically.

Sammy's smile grew. "I'm sorry M'Lord, I just want you to know that I care about you." 

"AWWWW!"

"SHUT THE HELL UP (Y/N)!"

You couldn't help it, and you laughed at his irritation. It was amusing to make him mad, but this time it was Sammy's fault rather than yours. The demon said nothing afterwards, letting go of you and crossing his arms over his chest. The only noise he made was a low growl as he mumbled something to himself under his breath.

Sammy politely cleared his throat, "Anyways, M'Lord. Might I peek your interest with an update on the lower floors?"

Bendy let his angered and frustrated expression fall into a simple frown, but he was clearly interested in what the prophet might have gathered from down below. You on the other hand,  were confused with the statement, but stayed silent while the other two talked.

"Go on..."

Sammy nodded respectfully, before taking a moment to recall what he had seen and heard. Some of the information came from the lost ones living down there, and others came from sources he would rather not talk about.

"Well, the lost village has been fairly normal, except Alice has been trying to get her hands on some of the residents... The River is stable for the most part, and the butcher gang still resides in the corridors around the vault. Nothing too major, but I was still determined to inform you M'Lord."

Listening to what Sammy said didn't help you to understand anything whatsoever.

"Alice is alive too?" You butted in, looking over at Sammy with disbelief. I guess it would have been reasonable to assume that the other cartoons were alive, considering that you were standing next to the star of the the whole thing.

"And what's "The River"?" You added, making quotes in the air with your hands.

Bendy sighed, placing a hand on your shoulder. "Slow down with the questions, (y/n)." He said calmly, turning his attention back to Sammy after talking to you.

"I appreciate the information, Lawrence. Now go do whatever it is you do and leave me alone."

"Oh, of course M'Lord!" The prophet quickly replied, backing away and leaving in the direction he arrived.

You stood there silently, waiting for Bendy to say something that might help to clear your confusion. The demon turned in the opposite direction with a growl, and you followed him as he walked off.

"Are you going to give me any context to that conversation?" You asked, your tone slightly annoyed with the fact that he hadn't actually answered your questions. Bendy stayed quiet, and lead you down the halls and into an area that you hadn't explored at all.

To your surprise, he eventually stopped in front of the lift, turning to you with a blank expression.

"You wanna know what the river is, huh?" He asked you, to which you nodded both eagerly and curiously. He pressed the button on the side panel next to the lift, and the doors opened with a loud screech. Those things were pretty rusted away from being left dormant for so long.

The toon stepped into the lift, and you got in as well, standing next to him as he pressed another button before the doors closed the two of you in.

"I'll show you then...In the heart of the studio, lies the river..."