Chapter 86

Chapter X

Percy

I watched as the sun rose, stopping my preparation for a moment and I sighed softly. Soon, this war would be over, I had promised Nico that this war would end today. I would never break a promise, not now, not ever.

Annabeth would want to come with me.

I could not allow that, I refused to allow that. She would not get hurt, if I died on the battlefield, she would be able to lead the people. She was Nyx's heir for a reason after all.

The door creaked open and I prepared myself for a long winded debate. I would not lose this round. Annabeth's gentle footfalls came closer and I looked at her. She bit her lip and then stepped closer to me and adjusted a strap on my armor.

"Your armor was crooked—again." She explained with a sad smile on her face and I returned it.

She bit her lip and then wrapped her arms around me, armor and all. My eyes widened with surprise, and then I melted and wrapped my arms around her to return the hug. I breathed in her scent, it smelled like roses, and I shuddered slightly. I did not want to die, I had her now, I was no longer a robot. She sniffled slightly and I hugged her tighter.

"I'm going with you." She stated her voice so confident and stubborn that I knew that whatever I would say or do would not convince her otherwise. But I had to try, of course.

"It's too dangerous—you'll probably die!" I protested, drawing away slightly although I kept my hands on her shoulders. She stared up at me, her beautiful eyes swirling like the sky when it was angry.

"And so will you," she snapped. "And... I can't live without you. Not anymore. Not ever again."

It was then that I snapped. I took her face in my hands and kissed her for all my life was worth.

Annabeth

My eyes widened as Percy took my face in his hands and kissed me. It wasn't exactly the same as our other kisses; the passionate, desperate kiss just before I become the Heir of Nyx or the sad, hopeless kiss just before he was taken captive by Void. This kiss... it was the promise of new beginnings, and the promise that we would come out of this fight, alive.

He pulled away slowly and I opened my eyes (when had I closed them?). I smiled at him a little sadly and he returned it as he brushed away a strand of my hair.

"I know," he breathed and he gently kissed my forehead. "I promise I'll get both of us out of this, alive."

I smiled at him and wrapped my arms around his neck. He smiled against my shoulder and I closed my eyes.

The door slammed open and we jumped apart to stare at... Alpha?

"Percy... I'm Void's son."

I blinked. What brought that on?

"What?" Percy sounded very confused. "Don't be silly, Jonathan, you were Chaos's apprentice."

I was taken aback by how he had addressed Alpha and Alpha threw his hood down in frustration. He pointed at his eyes and... one was an off yellow, while the other was pitch black. Percy's eyes widened with shock and Alpha raised his eyes to the ceiling.

"Yes, I became Chaos's apprentice after I freed myself from Void's clutches."

Percy's face resembled a fish.

"And Jezebel is a manifestation of Nyx." He added as an afterthought. I thought Percy was going to collapse, or worst, faint. It was very likely. Especially with how pale he had suddenly become.

"...and...?" he prompted faintly and Alpha smiled a little sheepishly, as if he was beginning to realize that maybe storming in and announcing that he was Void's son might not be his best idea.

"Did I just interrupt something...?" he wondered and I raised my eyes to the ceiling. Was he really just realizing that?

"Uh..." Percy's cheeks were slightly pink. "What caused you to confess now, and not before...?" he changed the subject back, probably avoiding the question.

"I can sometimes see what he is thinking about doing next." Alpha explained and he suddenly looked nervous. I frowned slightly, why did the exapprentice look so nervous, so suddenly? "And... his army army is much larger then what we originally anticipated ... and I have no idea what's wrong with Jezebel and I just don't know what's happening to—"

A shadow came out of practically no where, hit Alpha and the once apprentice collapsed. My eyes widened with surprise while Percy turned to the attacker.

"What in Hades—why would you do that, Shadow!?" he demanded angrily and Nico avoided Alpha's body and sighed softly, looking truly regretful.

"He would have been taken over," he explained unhelpfully and I tilted my head. "Percy, Void has almost arrived." The anger reappeared in his eyes. "What are your orders?"

Percy looked at Nico with a mixture of wariness and concern, and then he said, "Anyone over the age of sixteen is allowed to fight." Nico nodded and he marched to the door and his hand rested on the knob. Percy frowned, "And Nico... be careful."

The Son of Hades looked over his shoulder. "Kick his ass for me, will you?"

I knew that that was the only promise Percy would get. The climate suddenly became much more humid as Percy's sea and grey colored eyes darkened. I blinked; wait, had he dropped the disguise? "Oh, trust me; he's going to get what he deserves."  

Nico smiled slightly and his back disappeared through the door. I didn't say anything, I just tightened the strap that held my sword belt and sheathed my knife.

Void

I turned to look at the woman, who was staring into the distance with sorrowful eyes. "You will kill him." I reminded her not so gently. The woman's eyes clouded over and became stone cold.

"Of course, Lord Void." She stated emotionlessly.

I smirked; pleased with her willingness to do what was right. "Remember not to let old feelings get in the way."

Jezebel scowled, her green eyes darkening so that she looked like she was on the border of insanity. Which she was. "Jonathan does not deserve to live, not after he abandoned me for Chaos."