Chapter 16

Chapter X

Percy ducked under his mentor's swing and kicked out with his leg, spinning around with electricity running through his body, giving the apprentice to Chaos a slightly shock. Percy landed neatly, a trident somehow in his hand as he stared at Alpha with laughing eyes.

"Some things never change." the apprentice grumbled, eyeing the trident apprehensively. "Okay, I surrender."

Percy glared at him suspiciously, Alpha never surrendered so easily. Unless he was distracted, this would probably explain why he had been beaten so easily. "Is something wrong, Teacher?" he asked respectfully and Alpha looked up in surprise. Percy tilted his head at his mentor and Alpha smiled wryly.

"You know me too well."

Percy stood up, rising from his offensive stance and the trident sank into the ground. He glanced up and noticed in surprise that the fires had gone out. Perhaps it was because of that mini hurricane he had created... he raised his hand and waved it out and the fires started back up instantly.

"What's going on with you? You've been out of it all day." Percy questioned instantly, taking his cloak off. He walked over to the stands and he put it on the bench. Alpha sighed, running a hand across his face, knocking the hood off his head. Percy raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything.

"I don't know, Percy." he sighed wearily. "Do you remember when I mentioned that where I am from there is a ritual you would have with the person you love to be able to know where they are- to know where they are and to feel what they are feeling?"

Percy nodded slowly; he was starting to figure out where this was going. "Yeah." he murmured quietly. "You told me in a history lesson, I only remember it because you kept yelling at me to pay attention." He smiled apologetically at his mentor who rolled his strange golden-brown eyes.

"Of course..." he muttered drily. Percy raised his arms and stretched, trying to reach the sky on only his tiptoes. "I suppose I never told you that I participated in the ritual."

Percy tripped, or something of that nature. He was suddenly on the ground with his back hurting like Hades. Gently, he reached back to rub it as he stared in shock at Alpha. "What? You?" he asked in disbelief. Alpha rolled his eyes.

"Victoria was my one and only love." He replied bluntly. "Back there everyone has a soul mate. Now, whether you're lucky to meet him/her is another issue altogether." Alpha sighed and sat down next to Percy, draping his arms over his knees. Percy frowned in confusion.

"What happened?" he knew something must have happened to them. It was obvious that Alpha still loved her deeply.

"She disappeared," he murmured, his voice quiet and his eyes far away. "I had thought she had died, but recently our link opened again." Percy didn't even bother with asking him about the link, he figured that he would only confuse himself even more about it. "I had felt it, but I had tried to dismiss it until I heard her call out for help." He bowed his head and Percy stared at the wall.

"Then go save her." he murmured quietly and Alpha's head snapped up. He heard it snap, but he kept staring at the wall in determination. "Trust me; I know how it feels to realize that someone who you had thought dead was alive. That you would go through the depths of hell for her." He chuckled slightly to himself sadly. "Hades, I did for her." Percy finally forced himself to stop looking at the wall and he met Alpha's eyes. "Trust me when I say this, it hurts if you find out that she is or was alive and you did nothing to save her."

Alpha stared at him, his mouth slightly open and Percy rubbed the back of his head embarrassed. "Don't ever change, Percy Jackson." Percy jerked and looked up at his mentor with wide eyes. He had never heard him address him by his full name. Alpha smiled slightly, small but genuine. "Being human might be your greatest weakness, but it is also your greatest strength."

Percy nodded slightly, his eyes still wide with awe. Alpha chuckled and ruffled his hair and Percy smiled slightly, his eyes returning back to their normal size. "You know, I'm not the only human here." He murmured warmly. Alpha looked confused. "Being human is not a race of what kind of mammal we are." Alpha looked briefly confused, but then it cleared away. "It is our emotions that make us human, and Alpha, you've got those emotions. My first stepfather was a pig, but he looked exactly like the rest of us, except that he was fatter. Did that make him human? No, we never considered him such." He smiled and stood up, grabbing his cloak while he was at it. He paused for a moment then exhaled softly.

"You can't run from who you are, Alpha. You are who you were, who you are now, and who you will be in the future." Percy spun and met the apprentice's eyes, his own as stormy as a sea. "You are what you are. I am who I am. It doesn't matter how you phrase it, it means the same thing."

Percy's smile became a full on bright sunny grin. "I'm not going to try to change that. No matter what I may have done or said, I am proud of who I am. Whether I am a human, a demigod or a warrior, or even an apprentice, I am proud of who I am. Titles don't make you who you are."

With those impressive words, he spun on his heel and with the cloak billowing out behind him dramatically he marched through the doors. Alpha watched him go with his mouth slightly open, before he bowed his head and smiled slightly.

"I am proud to have known you, my apprentice, and I am proud to have watched the man you have become." He whispered before he stood up and he marched through another smaller door.

Perseus Jackson was more than ready to take over his title fully.