Chapter 182: Christmas Eve - Part 4

Kissing him again felt like going back for seconds of dessert; you know you shouldn't, but still you do, craving that same sweetness you had tasted after that first bite, but now it was just too much, making you feel weighed down and heavy, completely regretting taking that extra slice of the forbidden chocolate cake.

Especially knowing you've always preferred vanilla.

I finally moved away as I felt his kisses get harder. He smirked back at me, his eyes instantly moving back down to my lips, clearly unsatisfied with his portion.
But he had always had a sweet tooth.

"You know if you want, we can go upstairs and bang one out one last time." He joked, leaning back in. I moved away, shaking my head as I giggled to myself. Sometimes I missed how he got when he drank too much, knowing just how to break the serious tension and lighten the mood when things were so close to taking a turn.
"Don't ruin this." I laughed. He nodded, leaning his forehead back against mine.
"It was worth a shot." He sighed, his hand slowly reaching over for mine.
"It wouldn't be good for you anyway." I said softly, moving my hand away before he could intertwine our fingers.
"Oh, just me?" He asked, giving me a questioning look. "You would be okay?" I nodded, holding my stare on him. He sighed, nodding back.

He understood.

"And there's nothing I can do to change your mind?" He asked. I shook my head again, my smile growing, knowing that deep down, there was nothing anyone could do anymore that could change my mind. And now all I wanted was to end the night with him.

"It was real for you though.. right?" He asked, his voice much quieter now, his face dropping. I nodded, reaching over, gently caressing his face.
"It was real for me." I assured him. "And it always will be. We're just.. on different paths and.. mine is with him."

And just because the book had closed on our story, that didn't make it any less of the fairytale that it was. But sometimes the princess realizes that just because a prince finally managed to make his way up to her tower, it didn't always mean that they would end up together in the end. And that was okay. Sometimes the princess discovers that it was actually the boy that lived within the tower with her all along.

"Okay, Jaime." He finally said. I climbed out of his lap, sitting back down on the floor as he pushed himself up.
"Thank you, for everything. I.. I really appreciate these. I appreciate everything."
"So do I." I said, now holding onto the notebook he had gotten me. "Thank you." He held his stare on me for a moment longer before finally getting up and heading back into the kitchen.

It was bittersweet.
But now all I really wanted was to finally find Josh.

And I didn't have to wait long before I saw that familiar mop of hair pop his head into the doorway, flashing me a timid grin.
"There you are.." I sighed, reaching out for him. He giggled to himself, making his way over and sitting down close to me, trying his best to hide whatever he was holding behind his back.

"So, did they all spoil you?" He laughed, scooting in closer. I nodded, motioning over towards the tree where I had placed their gifts. He looked at them for a moment before bringing his attention back to me. It was for the best he didn't look through them now.

"What do you have?" I asked, trying my best to peek behind him. He shook his head, smirking back at me.
"Don't worry, you'll get your gifts." He said. "But first, I.. I have a question." My heart jumped.

Now?
He was doing this now?
Just like that?

"And.. what's that?" I asked, feeling my heart start to beat faster. Having known him, I had thought that he was going to make it somewhat of a bigger deal, but to be honest, at this point, all that really mattered to me was that I was his again.