Chapter 150: Where We Belonged

They didn't play that night, and an eerie silence filled the air as we packed up the van for the last time.

As we suspected, Liam didn't hesitate to get them kicked off the tour. Apparently it was much easier than we thought, especially considering he didn't even want them there in the first place. I never really understood how these things works, but I guessed it was easy to explain once Jake threw the first punch.

And I would never admit it, but part of me was relieved. I just wanted them to be home with me again, as selfish as it sounded, and after knowing how well Jake was taking the whole thing, it was much easier to feel this way.

Everyone made a point not to say anything to Jake, thinking that would only make things worse. But deep down I knew that all he really wanted was to be comforted just like everyone else. He lingered in the back, making sure everything was packed right, carefully placing his guitar in last.

"Hey.." I said, leaning up against the van as he slammed the doors shut. He forced a subtle smile, holding his stare on me for a moment.
"I'm okay." He finally sighed. "You don't have to worry about me."
"You know I'm always going to worry about you." I giggled. He nodded as his smile grew.
"Well, that's nice to hear. But.. I promise. I'm okay." I wasn't entirely convinced, but he never truly seemed happy out here to begin with. I knew there was better out there waiting for him. This wasn't the end.

"I'm sure whatever you get next will be better." I muttered. "I.. I don't know how this works, but-"
"Well, a lot is word of mouth and who you know so.. I don't see them speaking very highly of us."
"Well then I'll just tell everyone how great you are." I laughed. He smiled again, his cheeks burning red.
"Thank you, Jaime." He laughed. "I am excited to get to sleep in my own bed again though. I know we've spent our whole lives talking about getting out on the road, but.. it's crazy how quickly you can miss home."
"I can tell you, it wasn't the same without you."
"At least you noticed I was gone." He sighed. I rolled my eyes, smirking back at him.
"You know I did."

"You know, my bed would be nicer if you'd share it with me." He said softly, reaching out, gently grabbing onto my jacket. I felt my face get hot, peeking back up at him.
"Jake.." He sighed, his face dropping as he let go.
"I'm just saying.."
"You're just saying.." I laughed. He nodded, his lips curling into a smile.
"Nothing has to happen, I know where we stand right now, I just.. I'd feel better if you were with me. In.. whatever way that means. I just.. I really don't want to be alone tonight." I hated how easily he could do this, it was heartbreaking.
"I just think.. the sooner we get used to being apart-" I started. He nodded, looking away.

I jumped at the sound of the van finally staring, knowing that was our cue to get back inside. He sighed, finally looking back at me before reaching out, gently touching my cheek.
"I'm glad you were here to see some of it, at least." He said. "It.. really meant a lot to me. And I promise I'll be better. I want to give you something to be proud of."
"I know you will be. I'm not worried about that. You're gonna be fine."
"Yeah, everyone keeps saying that.." He said, his voice trailing off.
"What do you mean?"
"Nothing.. let's go." He sighed, moving away and getting back into the van, slamming the door behind him.

I made my way around to the other side to see Josh peeking his head out the passenger window, giving me questioning eyes. I nodded, climbing into the back to see Sam sitting in the middle, separating Jake and I. He smiled back at me, as if knowing exactly what he was doing. I was thankful for the space.

The ride was peacefully quiet, as if acceptance had finally sunk in. It was nice to see the scenery get more and more familiar as we finally pulled back up to the front of their house again, their mom being the first one to greet us from their front steps.